- Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, 1967
- Michigan Technological University, Instructor, 1963 – 1964
- Case Western Reserve University, Assistant Professor, 1967 – 1969
- Temple University, Associate Professor, 1969 – 1974
- Temple University, Professor, 1974 – Present
- Harvard University, Advanced Research Fellow, 1978
- Harvard University, Visiting Professor, 1984 – 1985
- Fellow, American Statistical Association
- Fellow, Royal Statistical Society
- Elected Member, International Statistical Institute
- Senior Member, American Society for Quality
- 2003 Don Owen Award, San Antonio Chapter of the American Statistical Association
- 2001 W. J. Youden Award, American Statistical Association
- 2001 Third Place Contributed Paper Award, Biopharmaceutical Section of the American Statistical Association
- 2001 Musser Leadership Award in Research, Fox School of Business and Management, Temple University
- 2000 First Place Contributed Paper Award, Biopharmaceutical Section of the American Statistical Association
- 1992 Chapter Recognition Award, The American Statistical Association Council of Chapters
- Research Round Table Member, Fox School of Business and Management, Temple University
- Exceptional Salary Adjustment Award, Temple University
- Founding Director, Graduate Programs in Statistics, Temple University, 1970 – 1976
- Chair, Department of Statistics, 1978 – 1982
- Director, Biostatistics Research Center, Temple University, 1992 –
- President, Philadelphia Chapter of ASA, 1981 – 1983
- Local Arrangements Chair, Joint Statistical Meetings, 1984
- Local Arrangement Chair, ENAR, 1993
- Organizer, 11 Merck – Temple Conferences
- “Generalized Weighted Likelihood Density Estimators with Application to Finite Mixture of Exponential family Distributions,” (with Tingting Zhan and Inna Chervoneva), Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 55, 457 – 465, (2011)
- “Summarizing Data with Boxplots,” Encyclopedia of Statistical Science, 1572 – 1575, (2010)
- “A Simple Outlier Identification Procedure Designed for Large Samples,” (with Sharmila Banerjee), Communications in Statistics, Simulation and Computation, 36, 249-263. (2007).
- “Einstein’s First Published Paper,” The American Statistician, 61-4, 339-342, (2007).
- “Relative Quantification Based on Logistic Models for Individual Polymerase Chain Reactions,” (with I. Chervoneva, Y. Li, S. Waldman, and T. Hyslop), Statistics in Medicine, 26, 5596-5611 (2007)
- “A General Approach for Two-Stage Analysis of Multi-Level Clustered Non-Gaussian Data,” (with I. Chervoneva and T. Hyslop), Biometrics, 62, 752-759 (2006)
- “Orthogonal Bases Approach for Comparing Nonnormal Continuous Distributions,” (with Inna Chervoneva). Biometrika 92, 679-690. (2005).
- “Illustrating the Impact of a Time-Varying Covariate with an Extended Kaplan-Meier Estimator,” (with Steven Snapinn and Qi Jiang). The American Statistician.59, 301-307. ( 2005).
- “Accounting for Informative Noncompliance with a Bivariate Exponential Model in the Design of Time-to-Event Trials,” (with Steven Snapinn and Qi Jiang). Pharmaceutical Statistics. July 2005.
- “Calculation of Sample Size in Survival Trials: the Impact of Informative Noncompliance” (with Steven Snapinn and Qi Jiang), Biometrics, 60, 800-806 (2004)
- “Informative Noncompliance in Endpoint Trials” (with Steven Snapinn and Qi Jiang), Current Controlled Trials in Cardiovascular Medicine, 5:5 (2004)
- “Sample Size Calculation for Survival Data”, (with Jiang and Snapinn), The Encyclopedia of Biopharmaceutical Statistics: second edition; Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 892 – 898. (2003)
- “Experiment-Wise Error Rate, (with Robert Elston)”, in Encyclopedia of Human Genetics and Genetic Epidemiology. John Wiley Sons: London, 253-254. (2002)
- “Boxplot”, Encyclopedia of Environmetrics. Vol. 1. Edited By El-Shaarawi, A. H. and Piegorsch, W. W. John Wiley & Sons: London, 223-226. (2002)
- “Boxplot, Bivariate”, Encyclopedia of Environmetrics. Vol. 1. Edited By El-Shaarawi, A. H. and Piegorsch, W. W. John Wiley & Sons: London, 226-229. (2002)
- “Testing Equivalence of Response Rates for Regulatory Filings Using Transformations” (with Brian Wiens), Drug Information Journal, 35-4, 1165-1171. (2001)
- “A Simultaneous Testing Strategy for Comparing Two Treatments in a Stratified Bionomial Trial” (With Radha Railkar and Devan Mehrotra), Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics, 10, 335-349 (2000)
- “A regression-Based Method for Estimating Mean Treatment Cost in the Presence of Right Censoring” (with George Carides and Joseph Heyse), Biostatistics, 1-3, 299-313 (2000)
- “Design and Analysis of Three Treatment Equivalence Trials,” (with Brian Wiens), Controlled Clinical Trials, 21,127-137 (2000)
- “Measurement Methods Comparisons and Linear Statistical Relationship,” (with Charles Y. Tan), Technometrics, 41(3), 192 – 201 (1999)
- “Selected Information on the Statistics Profession,” The American Statistician, 52, 289 – 294 (1998)
- “Experiment Wise Error Rate,” Encyclopedia of Biostatistics, Edited by Armitage, P. and Colton, T., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., London (1998)
- “On Singular Multivariate Normal Distribution and Its Applications,” (with Koon Kwong), Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 22, 271 – 285 (1996)
- “Robust and Bootstrap Testing Procedures for Bioequivalence,” (with Frank Shen), Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics, 4(1), 65 – 90 (1994)
- “How to Detect and Handle Outliers” (with David Hoaglin), Quality Press, American Society for Quality, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (1993)
- “A Comparison of Bias in Four Versions of the Product – Limit Estimator,” (with Brenda and John Gillespie), Biometrika, 79(1), 149 – 155. (1992)
- “Bivariate Extensions of the Boxplot,” (with Kenneth Goldberg), Technometrics, 34(3), 307 -320 (1992)
- “Use of Boxplots for Process Evaluation,” (with David Hoaglin), Journal of Quality Technology, 19(4), 180 – 190 (1987)
- “Performance of Some Resistant Rules for Outlier Labeling,” (with David Hoaglin and John W. Tukey), Journal of the American Statistical Association, 81(396), 991 – 999 (1986)
- “Alternative Designs: Sequential, Multistage, Decision Theory and Adaptive Designs,” In Cancer Clinical Trials: Methods and Practice. Edited By Buyse, Staquet, and Sylvestor, Oxford University Press (1984)
- “Robust Scale Estimators and Confidence Intervals for Location,” Chapter 12 of Understanding Robust and Exploratory Data Analysis, Edited by Hoaglin, D.C., Mosteller, F., and Tukey, J. W., John Wiley and Sons, Inc. (1983)
- “A Treatment Allocation Procedure for Sequential Clinical Trials,” (with Colin Begg), Biometrics, 36, 81 – 90 (1980)
1998, Temple University, Assay Methods Comparison and Linear Statistical Relationship. Dissertation paper won a best student paper award from the Biopharmaceutical Section of the American Statistical Association. This paper appeared in Technometrics and also won the 2001 American Statistical Association’s W. J. Youden Award for best paper in interlaboratory testing.
1998, Temple University, Estimation of Mean Treatment Cost in the Presence of Right Censoring. Dissertation paper won a best student paper award from the Biopharmaceutical Section of the American Statistical Association. Paper appeared in Biostatistics.
1998, Temple University, On Testing Equivalence of Three Populations. Dissertation paper won a best student paper award from the Biopharmaceutical section of the American Statistical Association. Another dissertation paper won a Student Scholarship Competition Award, Society for Clinical Trials. These papers appeared in Controlled Clinical Trials and Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics.
2000, Temple University, Alternative Strategies for Analyzing Stratified Comparative Binomial Trials. Dissertation paper won a best student paper award from the Biopharmaceutical Section of the American Statistical Association. It also won first place of presented JSM papers sponsored by the Biopharmaceutical Section of the American Statistical Association. Publications based on Ph.D dissertation appeared in Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics and Statistics in Medicine.
2001, Temple University, Assessment of Individual and Population Bioequivalence in Crossover and Parallel Designs. Dissertation paper won a best student paper award from the Biopharmaceutical Section of the American Statistical Association. paper based on the dissertation appeared in Statistics in Medicine.
2002, Temple University, Outliers in Large Data Sets. A paper based on the dissertation appeared in Communications in Statistics, Simulation and Computation.
2003, Temple University, Power and Sample Size Determination with Informative Noncompliance. Dissertation papers won one of four Society for Clinical Trials Student Scholarship Competition awards to present paper in London, and student awards from the International Chinese Statistical Association and from WNAR. Papers based on dissertation appeared in Encyclopedia of Biopharmaceutical Statistics, Biometrics, The American Statistician, Pharmaceutical Statistics, andCurrent Controlled Trials in Cardiovascular Medicine.
2003, Temple University, A General Approach for Two-Stage Analysis of Multi-Level Clustered Non-Gaussian Data. Dissertation papers won an ENAR Distinguished Student Paper award, and also a Laha student award from the Institute of Mathematical Statistics. Papers based on dissertation appeared in Biometrics and Biometrika.
2012, Temple University, The Generalized Linear Mixed Model for Finite Normal Mixtures with Application to Tendon Fibrilogenesis Data. Dissertation papers won an ENAR Distinguished Student Paper Award. Papers based on dissertation appeared in Computational Statistics & Data Analysis and Journal of Applied Statistics.
2013, A Nonparametric Test for Deviations from Randomness. Two papers based on dissertation appeared in Communications in Statistics – Simulation and Computation.