Jeffrey R. Boles is an Associate Professor and Chair of the Legal Studies Department at Temple University’s Fox School of Business, where he holds a Dorothy S. Washburn Research Fellowship and is a Fox Honors Faculty Fellow. His research and teaching expertise are in the areas of criminal law, corporate governance, ethics and compliance. Professor Boles has research publications in numerous leading journals, including the American Business Law Journal, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law, Michigan Journal of International Law, among others, and his expertise has been featured in major media outlets. His research has also been internationally recognized by the Council of Europe and European Union, among other regulatory bodies.
Professor Boles is a past winner of the university-wide Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching, Professor of the Year Awards from the Fox School Business Honors Program and from the Temple University Honors Program, and research awards from the North East Academy of Legal Studies in Business and Western Academy of Legal Studies in Business. He was previously on the faculty of the College of Liberal Arts at Temple University.
Prior to entering academia, Professor Boles practiced law at Dechert LLP in Philadelphia. He holds a B.A., summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from Temple University, a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, and a J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law. From 2001 to 2001, he was a Fulbright Fellow in Canada studying moral and social development.
- Jeffrey R. Boles, The Contract as Anti-Corruption Platform for the Global Corporate Sector, 21 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law 807 (2019).
- Leora F. Eisenstadt & Jeffrey R. Boles, Intent and Liability in Employment Discrimination, 53 American Business Law Journal 607 (2016).
- Jeffrey R. Boles, Financial Sector Executives as Targets for Money Laundering Liability, 52 American Business Law Journal 365 (2015).
- Jeffrey R. Boles, Criminalizing the Problem of Unexplained Wealth, 17 New York University Journal of Legislation and Public Policy 835 (2015).
- Jeffrey R. Boles, The Two Faces of Bribery: International Corruption Pathways Meet Conflicting Legislative Responses, 35 Michigan Journal of International Law 673 (2014).
- Corporate Actor Liability in the Money Laundering Realm
- Moral Decision-making in the Context of Whistleblower Activity
- Corporate Governance, Bribery, and Reputational Penalties: Empirical Evidence
- Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Foundation, Lindback Distinguished Teaching Award Recipient, 2016
- Best Paper Award, Western Academy of Legal Studies in Business Annual Conference, 2016
- Temple University Fox School of Business Dean’s Research Honor Roll Award Recipient, 2015
- Temple University Fox School of Business Departmental Teaching Award Recipient, 2012-2013.
- Peer Envy: Measurement and Impact on Retirement Investment Decisions (with Co-PI), Inter-Disciplinary Forum for Young Scholars, Temple University, $2,500.00 (December 2011).
- Neural Investigation of Group Decision-making Processes (with Co-PI), Inter-Disciplinary Forum for Young Scholars, Temple University, $3,000.00 (December 2011).
- Temple University Honors Professor of the Year Award Recipient, 2009-2010.
- U.C. Berkeley Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award Recipient, 2005-2006.
- University of British Columbia. Fulbright Scholar, 2001-2002. Research: Legal and Moral Reasoning; Cognition and Culture.
- Legal Environment of Business (Honors and Non-Honors Sections)
- Law & American Society (Honors)
- Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and the Law (Honors)
- Moral Psychology (Honors)
- Criminal Behavior (Honors)
- Social & Cultural Psychology (Honors)
- Dechert LLP, White Collar & Securities Litigation Associate. September 2006 – June 2011
- Bar of Pennsylvania, 2006. Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- University of California, Berkeley. J.D., 2006.
- Hon. Claudia Wilken, U.S. District Court, N.D. Cal., Oakland, CA. Summer 2004 Judicial Extern.
- Office of the Public Defender, San Francisco, CA. Summer 2003 Legal Intern.
- Hornaday Center for the Study of Peace and Well-Being, Berkeley, CA. Summer 2002 Research Fellow.
- Gender and the Law Prof Blog, Broadening Intent to Include Implicit Bias and Structural Discrimination in Employment, April 20, 2016, http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/gender_law/2016/04/leora-f-eisenstadt-temple-b-school-jeffrey-r-boles-temple-dept-legal-studies-in-busintent-and-liability-in-employme.html.
- Workplace Prof Blog, Eisenstadt and Boles on Intent & Liability, March 29, 2016, http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/laborprof_blog/2016/03/-eisenstadt-and-boles-on-intent-liability.html.
- The Columbia Law School Blue Sky Blog, Financial Sector Executives as Targets for Money Laundering Liability, October 5, 2015, http://clsbluesky.law.columbia.edu/2015/10/05/financial-sector-executives-as-targets-for-money-laundering-liability/.
- Interviewee for KUNC 91.5 Community Radio for Northern Colorado (part of the NPR Digital Network) Morning Edition Program, May 14, 2014 segment on health research
- Interview comments featured in “Health Research Restricted by Colorado’s Records Laws” news article