|Office:||Alter Hall 511|
|Research Interests:||large-scale field experiment mobile marketing, customer analytics with machine learning and big data, deep learning for personalized promotions, competitive pricing, omnichannel targeting, social media networking ads, artificial intelligence and recommendation algorithms|
Xueming Luo is Charles Gilliland Chair Professor of Marketing, Professor of Strategic Management, Professor of Management Information Systems. He is the Founder/Director of the Global Center for big data in mobile analytics in the Fox School of Business at Temple University.
Xueming Luo has been ranked as the top 1st worldwide (2006-2010 period) regarding Citations and Impact in top five marketing journals (JMR, MKSC, JM, JCR, JAMS), also ranked as the top 15th among all authors around the world (2008-2017 period) in the two premier AMA Journals (Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Marketing): see the list here, and ranked as the top 21th among all authors around the world in the same period in the top four premier Journals (Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Marketing Science) in the marketing discipline: see the list here.
He is a thought leader in digital mobile marketing, omnichannel customer analytics, and social responsibility with machine learning, artificial intelligence, engineering models, and big data field experiments. His current research focuses on sharing economy platform algorithms, unstructual audio/image/video data, and smart city analytics for personalized recommendations, promotions, competitive pricing, omnichannel, social media networks advertising, and customer equity metrics. Xueming has worked with leading global companies in mobile communications, banking, retailing, health care, pharmaceutical, and petroleum industries. His work has been featured by most top ranking journals in Marketing, Strategy, Information Systems, and Management, as well as popular trade press such as the Wall Street Journal, ScienceDaily, Forbes, Financial Times, Harvard Business Review, MIT Sloan Management Review, and others.
- “Machines versus Humans: The Impact of AI Chatbot Disclosure on Customer Purchases,” (with Tong S, Fang Z, Qu Z), Marketing Science, Forthcoming. PDF.
- “Targeted Promotions on an E-Book Platform: Crowding Out, Heterogeneity, and Opportunity Costs,” (with Fong N, Zhang Y, Wang X), Journal of Marketing Research, 2019, 56 (April), 310-323. PPT presentation.
- “When and How to Leverage E-commerce Cart Targeting (ECT): The Relative and Moderated Effects of Scarcity and Price Incentives,” (with X Lu and A Li), Information Systems Research, 2019, Forthcoming.
- “Personalized Mobile Targeting with User Engagement Stages: Combining Structural Forward-Looking Hidden Markov Model and Field Experiment,” (with Zhang Y, Li B, Wang X), Information Systems Research, 2019, Forthcoming. PPT presentation.
- Competitive Price Targeting with Smartphone Coupons (with JP Dube, Z Fang, N Fong), Marketing Science, 2017, 36(6), November, 944-975. PPT presentation
- Sunny, Rainy, Cloudy with a Chance of Mobile Promotion Effectiveness: 10-Million-User Field Study (with C Li, C Zhang, X Wang), Marketing Science, 2017 36 (5), September, 762–779. PPT presentation.
- Self-Signaling and Pro-Social Behavior: a cause marketing mobile field experiment (with JP Dube and Z Fang), Marketing Science, 2017, 36(2), 161–186. PPT presentation
- Mobile Ad Effectiveness: Hyper-Contextual Targeting with Crowdedness (with M Andrews, Z. Fang, and A Ghose), Marketing Science, 2016, 35(2), 218-233. PPT presentation
- Fang, Z, B Gu, X Luo, and Y. Xu (2015), “Contemporaneous and Delayed Sales Impact of Location-Based Mobile Promotions,” Information Systems Research, 26 (September), 552-564. PDF
- N Fong, Z Fang, and X Luo (2015), “Geo-Conquesting: Competitive Locational Mobile Promotions,” Journal of Marketing Research, 52 (October), 726-735.PDF, PPT presentation
- Luo, X, M. Andrews, Z. Fang, and Z. Phang (2014), “Mobile Targeting,” Management Science, 60 (7), July, 1738-56.PDF, PPT presentation
- Nonlinear Role of Social Influence for Individual Goal Pursuit and Spending (with C Zhang, D Pang, Q Wu), Journal of Marketing, 2017, 81(November), 762-779.
- Expert Blogs and Consumer Perceptions of Competing Brands (with J Zhang, B Gu, and D Phang), 2017, MIS Quarterly, June, 41(2), 371-395.
- Luo, X, H. Wang, S. Raithel, and Q. Zheng (2015), “Corporate Social Responsibility, Analyst Stock Recommendations, and Firm Future Returns,” Strategic Management Journal, 36 (1), 123–136.PDF
- M Andrews, X Luo, Z.Fang, and J Aspara (2014), “Cause Marketing Effectiveness and the Moderating Role of Price Promotions” Journal of Marketing, 78 (6), November, 120-42.PDF, PPT presentation
- Luo, Xueming, Vamsi Kanuri, and Michelle Andrews (2014), “How Does CEO Tenure Matter? The Mediating Role of Firm-Employee and Firm-Customer Relations,” Strategic Management Journal, 35 (4), April, 492-511.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, M. Andrews, Y. Song, and J. Aspara (2014), “Group-Buying Deal Popularity,” Journal of Marketing, 78: 20-33.PDF
- Q. Wu, X Luo, R Slotegraaf, and J Aspara (2015), “Sleeping with Rivals for Higher Returns on Innovation” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
- Fang, Zheng, X Luo, and M. Keith (2014), “How Effective is Location-Targeted Mobile Advertising?” MIT Sloan Management Review, Forthcoming.
- S. Mani and X Luo (2015), “Product alliances, alliance networks, and shareholder value,” International Journal of Research in Marketing.
- Fang, Zheng, Xueming Luo,M. Andrews, and C. Phang (2014), “Mobile Discounts: A Matter of Distance and Time,” Harvard Business Review, May, 92(5), 30.
- Luo, Xueming, Ran Zhang, Weining Zhang, Jaakko Aspara (2014), “Do Institutional Investors Pay Attention to Customer Satisfaction and Why?” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, Michael Wiles, and Sascha Raithel (2013), “How Polarizing is Your Brand?” Harvard Business Review, November.
- Luo, Xueming and Jennifer Zhang (2013), “How Do Consumer Buzz and Traffic in Social Media Marketing Predict the Value of the Firm,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Fall, 213-238.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, Sascha Raithel, and Michael Wiles (2013), “The Impact of Brand Dispersion on Firm Value,” Journal of Marketing Research, June, 399-415.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, Jennifer Zhang, and Wenjing Duan (2013), “Social Media and Firm Equity Value,” Information Systems Research, 24:146-163.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, V. Kanuri, and M. Andrews (2013), “Why Too Long CEO Tenure May Hurt Firm Performance?” Harvard Business Review, March.
- Fang, Zheng, Xueming Luo, and Minhua Jiang (2013), “Dynamic Effects of Service Recovery on Customer satisfaction,” Journal of Service Research, 16(3) 341- 355.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, Jan Wieseke, and Christian Homburg (2012), “Incentivizing CEOs to Build Customer- and Employee-Firm Relations for Higher Customer Satisfaction and Firm Value,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 40(6), 745-58.PDF
- Luo, Xueming and Pieter de Jong (2012), “Does Advertising Spending Really Work? The Intermediate Role of Analysts in the Impact of Advertising on Firm Value,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 40, 605-624.PDF
- Luo, Xueming and Shuili Du (2012), “Good Companies Introduce More Innovations” Harvard Business Review, 90 (4), April, 28-28.
- Luo, Xueming, Christian Homburg, and Jan Wieseke (2010), “Customer Satisfaction, Analyst Stock Recommendations, and Firm Value,” Journal of Marketing Research, 47(6), 1041-1058.PDF
- Luo, Xueming (2010), “Product Competitiveness and Beating Analyst Earnings Target,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 38(3), 253-64.PDF
- Luo, Xueming (2009), “Quantifying the Long-Term Impact of Negative Word of Mouth on Cash Flow and Stock Price Volatility,” Marketing Science, 28(1), 148-65.PDF
- Luo, Xueming and CB Bhattacharya (2009), “Debate over Doing Good: Corporate Social Performance, Strategic Marketing Levers, and Firm-idiosyncratic Risk,” Journal of Marketing, 73(6), 198-213.PDF
- Mao, Huifang, Xueming Luo, and Shailendra Pratap Jain (2009), “Consumer Responses to Brand Elimination,”Journal of Consumer Psychology, 19, 280-9.PDF
- Luo, Xueming (2008), “When Marketing Strategy First Meets Wall Street: Marketing Spendings and Firms’ Initial Public Offerings (IPOs),” Journal of Marketing, 72(5), 98-109.PDF
- Luo, Xueming and Christian Homburg (2008), “Satisfaction, Complaint, and the Stock Value Gap,” Journal of Marketing, 72(4), 29-43.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, Maxwell Hsu, and Sandra Liu (2008), “An Institution Legitimacy Approach to the Customer Orientation—Trust—Performance Link,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 36(2), 202-214.PDF
- Luo, Xueming (2007), “Consumer Negative Voice and Firm-Idiosyncratic Stock Returns,” Journal of Marketing, 71 (3), 75-88.PDF
- Luo, Xueming and Christian Homburg (2007), “Neglected Outcomes of Customer Satisfaction,” Journal of Marketing, 71 (2), 133-49.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, Aric Rindfleisch, and David Tse (2007), “Working with Rivals: The Impact of Competitor Alliances on Financial Returns to Competitor-Oriented Firms,” Journal of Marketing Research, 44(1), 73-83.PDF
- Wu, Weiping, Lianxi Zhou, and Xueming Luo (2007), “Internationalization and Performance of Born-Global SMEs: The Mediating Role of Guanxi Networks,” Journal of the International Business Studies, 38(4), 673-90.PDF
- Luo, Xueming and CB Bhattacharya (2006), “Corporate Social Responsibility, Customer Satisfaction, and Market Value,” Journal of Marketing, 70 (4), 1-18.PDF
- Luo, Xueming and Naveen Donthu (2006), “Marketing’s Credibility: A Longitudinal Study of Marketing Communication Productivity and Shareholder Value,” Journal of Marketing, 70 (4), 70-91.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, Rebecca Slotegraaf, and Xing Pan (2006), “Cross-Functional Coopetition: The Simultaneous Role of Cooperation and Competition within Firms,” Journal of Marketing,70 (2), 67-80.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, K. Sivakumar, and Sandra S. Liu (2005), “Marketing Resources, Globalization, and Performance: Evidence from China,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 33 (1), 50-65.PDF
- Luo, Xueming (2005), “How Does Shopping with Others Matter to Individual Impulsive Purchasing?” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 15 (4), 288-294.
- Luo, Xueming (2004), “Data Envelopment Analysis: A Management Science Tool for Scientific Marketing Research,” Journal of Marketing Research, 42 (3), Book Review, 113-116.PDF
- Luo, Xueming, David Griffith, S. Liu, and Y. Shi (2004), “The Effects of Customer Relationships and Social Capital on Firm Performance: A Chinese Business Illustration,” Journal of International Marketing, 12 (4), 25-45.
- Liu, Sandra S., Xueming Luo, and Shi, Yi-Zheng (2002), “Integrating Customer Orientation, Corporate Entrepreneurship, and Learning Orientation in Organizations-in-Transition: An Empirical Study,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, 19 (4). 367-382.
- Luo, Xueming and Naveen Donthu (2002), “Advertising Maybe Inefficient Irrespective of How the Advertising Budget Was Set,” Journal of Advertising Research, 42 (2), 93-95.
- Luo, Xueming and Naveen Donthu (2001), “Benchmarking Advertising Efficiency,” Journal of Advertising Research, November/December, 41(6), 7-18.
- Mission and Objectives: The mission of Global Center for Big Data and Mobile Analytics (GBM) in the Fox school of Business at Temple University is to become an inter-disciplinary leader in big data in mobile analytics. GBM will forge strategic partnership with the world’s largest mobile service providers in Asia, Europe, and beyond. GBM will nurture a global team of researchers from Marketing, Information Systems, Strategy, Finance, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Psychology, Sociology, Physics, and related fields at leading global universities. GBM will collaborate with other researchers and produce elite research publications on mobile-related topics such as targeting, commerce, optimization, consumer usage, cognitive science, emotions, data processing, user-technology interface, networks, apps, gaming, virtual identity, and more. GBM will also foster industry outreach and generate impact by helping managers solve mobile-related problems and commercializing its patents to benefit companies and society.
- GBM ConferencesNovember 2013, ‘Big Data Mobile Analytics Symposium’ at Temple Univ, PhiladelphiaJuly 2014, ‘Big + Small Data Marketing Analytics Conference’ at Fudan Univ, Shanghai, ChinaOctober 2014, ‘Big Data Marketing Analytics Conference’ at University of Chicago ChicagoBooth School, ChicagoMarch 2015, ‘Mobile Big Data Marketing Analytic Conference’ at LMU Munich, GermanyOctober 2015, ‘Smart Life Big Data Marketing Analytic Conference’ at New York University Stern School of Business, New YorkJune 2016, ‘Mobile Big Data Conference’ at Chinese University of Hong Kong Business School, Hong Kong, ChinaDecember 2016, ‘Digital Marketing Conference’ at Stanford University Stanford Business School, StanfordDecember 2017, ‘Digital, Mobile Marketing, Social Media Analytics Conference’ at New York University Stern School of Business, New YorkDecember 2018, ‘Digital Marketing and Machine Learning Conference’ at Carnegie Mellon University Tepper School of Business, Pittsburgh
- Center Website
- Presentation DatesMarketing Seminar
- Syllabus 6390
- MARK6390 presentation dates
- Paper Presentation EVA
- Quiz 1(Dell example)
- Programming Analyses
- Individual Prest. Article Source FortuneIndiv. Prest. Article Forbes
- Business Elite JOURNALInternet Business Planning Samples
- Email Marketing Tips
- Peer Evaluation Form
- OSCAR Winners
- MB ads3
- How Motorola Squandered a Brandbuilding Opportunity& ipodNano
- Half.com & BuzzMarketing
- Alibaba.com & Yahoo!
- AOL Buys Blogging Company