Staff/Faculty Laptop Support
Monday-Friday: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Fox Information & AV Technology
Office: Speakman Hall LL5
Technology is an instrumental cog in the modern business world and is a pillar of the Fox School’s business educational philosophy.
The Fox School is redesigning our curriculum in a way that uses Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus, and other hands-on software tools, across multiple courses. This makes it vital for students to have laptops in the classroom.
In today’s competitive environment, mobile technology has become a requirement, not just a luxury. A laptop makes students navigators of their knowledge: collaborating, researching and communicating anytime, anywhere. The use of mobile computing, both inside and outside the classroom, prepares you for living and learning in today’s world.
Starting in the fall of 2018, the Fox School of Business has mandated that all undergraduate students must have a laptop. To help with this, we have provided below a recommended specification list for both undergrad and grad students. We have also included links to various vendors offering deals and discounts on the purchase of a laptop.
We look forward to employing the new technology-infused curriculum in the near future, giving you and your degree an even greater value in today’s business world.
Laptop Hardware Recommendations
- Minimum Intel 8th Generation i3 or i5 processor (however i7 is preferred) or AMD Equivalent or Ryzen Pro 5 processor (however, the 7 series is preferred)
- Must have built-in webcam (or external webcam equivalent)
- Minimum of 8 GB RAM (12-16GB RAM is strongly recommended if you are using statistical software, or analyzing data sets)
- 256GB SSD is Temple’s minimum requirement size (500GB preferred)
- 13.3 – 14 inch 720p resolution display (1080p recommended)
- 802.11 AC/N Wi-Fi compatible wireless card
- Microsoft Office 365 and Adobe Creative Cloud are free download from the TUportal
- Extended warranty of at least 2-3 years preferred (a 3 year warranty/ADP is strongly recommended)
- Only Windows 10 OS Home or Pro Version, or Apple OSX 10.14 (Mojave) and above can be used.
- Windows OS Laptops and Desktops are strongly recommended. No Chromebooks, Netbooks, Android Tablets, or other similar devices, including iPads will work as a replacement.
- Macbooks and iMacs are not advised as they lack compatibility with many of the software suites that will be required as part of a student’s course curriculum, e.g., MS Excel, MS Access, ACL.
- To see more detailed information about Temple’s laptop guidelines and purchasing information, please visit this page: Temple University’s Computer Purchase Guidelines
- Due to COVID-19, and increased frequency of online classes utilizing zoom for social distancing, a headset will be required.
An Internet connection is required to attend virtual class sessions and take full advantage of the resources Temple University offers to students. Major Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have existing programs providing financial assistance to customers who meet their income qualifications including:
- Comcast Internet Essentials: Affordable Internet at Home for Eligible Households: https://internetessentials.com/
- Verizon FiOS via the FCC assistance program: Lifeline Discount Program https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/account/manage-account/lifeline-discount
- FCC Program Lifeline Support for Affordable Communications: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/lifeline-support-affordable-communications
Get a discount for your laptop when buying from suggested vendors below.
Suggested Laptop Vendors
Students and faculty of Temple University are capable of receiving certain educational discounts through these particular vendors.
- Lenovo: Save off the regular web price and FREE shipping on all web orders.
Students go to: www.lenovo.com/shop/deals/templeu,
Faculty should contact Foxit@temple.edu for any laptop purchasing needs.
- Software House International
- Microsoft Discount Program (Faculty, Staff and Students can take advantage of this)
- Best Buy, Amazon, Costco, and other such retailers are also a means of purchasing a laptop
Buy used PC’s
Computer Recycling Center
All students can navigate here for their free license/download of Microsoft OS 10, and other Microsoft related products.