Krupa S. Viswanathan is an Associate Professor in the Risk, Insurance, and Healthcare Management department. She teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in Actuarial Science and Risk Management & Insurance. She is also the Director of the Actuarial Science program and is an Associate of the Society of Actuaries.
Dr. Viswanathan’s research interests include systemic risk analysis, the capital structure of insurers, and crisis management. She also investigates the impact of corporate governance decisions by insurers. Her research has been published in the Journal of Risk and Insurance, North American Actuarial Journal, and Journal of Risk Finance. She received her Ph.D. from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Chen, H., J.D. Cummins, K.S. Viswanathan and M.A. Weiss, “Systemic Risk and the Inter- Connectedness between the Banks and Insurers: An Econometric Analysis,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, forthcoming.
- Viswanathan, K.S., J. Lemaire, K. Withers, K. Armstrong, A. Baumritter, J. Hershey, M. Pauly, and D.A. Asch, “Adverse Selection in Life Insurance Purchasing, due to the BRCA 1/2 Genetic Test and Elastic Demand,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, 74 (2007): 65-86.
- Viswanathan, K.S., “The Pricing of Insurer Demutualization Initial Public Offerings,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, 73 (2006): 439-468.
Awards and Honors
- Robert C. Witt Best Paper Award – Journal of Risk and Insurance
- Asia-Pacific Risk and Insurance Association Outstanding Paper Award
- Andrisani-Frank Undergraduate Teaching Award
- Theory of Interest
- Actuarial Modeling II
- Introduction to Risk Management