August 17, 2020
Share
Morgan Hyman

Master of Accountancy (MAcc) student Morgan Hyman earned a top score on the CPA Exam and is eligible for the prestigious Elijah Watt Sells Award from the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA). To qualify for the award, CPA candidates must pass all four parts of the Uniform CPA Exam on the first try and obtain a cumulative average score above 95.50 across all four sections.

Hyman, a native of the Philadelphia area and graduate of George Washington University, chose Temple University for her master’s studies because of the unique structure of the Fox MAcc program. She was also following in her parents’ footsteps; they met while in graduate school at Temple. 

“The MAcc program helped me carve out the time I needed in my schedule to prioritize preparing for the CPA Exam,” says Hyman. “The structure of the program—with time set aside for studying and built-in review courses—gave me the time, resources and support I needed to succeed.”

Hyman began preparing for the CPA exam before classes started last summer. Like many MAcc students, she hoped to pass all four parts of the exam before she finished her degree and started working full-time. 

After her first high score, she realized she might have the ability to receive the Sells Awards. Hyman says, “The award was always in the back of my head, motivating me and pushing me to keep going.”

“Qualifying for this award is an added bonus to passing the CPA exam,” she says. “It definitely validates all of the hard work that I put into this process.”

This year’s MAcc students face some unprecedented challenges with the adjustment to remote learning, as well as the temporary closures of many testing sites. 

“Participating in this program definitely taught me how to be flexible and more creative in the way that I work and think,” Hyman says. “Things do not always go according to plan but that is not necessarily a bad thing.”

Hyman graduates with her Master of Accountancy degree in September with the ninth cohort of the Fox MAcc. She plans to move to New York City to work in tax consulting for Deloitte.

The AICPA has bestowed the Elijah Watt Sells Award on candidates for outstanding performance on the CPA exam since 1923. One of the country’s first CPAs, Sells was active in the establishment of the AICPA and played a key role helping to advance professional education in the profession.

Request More Information

American Institute of CPAsCPA ExamDeloitteElijah Watt Sells AwardMAcc programMaster of AccountacySells Awards