|Office:||Speakman Hall 210|
|Research Interests:||Social Media, Broadband Policy, Complex Adaptive Systems|
Dr. Munir Mandviwalla is Associate Professor of Management Information Systems and Executive Director of the Institute for Business and Information Technology at the Fox School of Business, Temple University.
Mandviwalla has published articles on collaborative systems, social media, virtual teams, software training, peer review, globalization, universal access and use, design science, social media strategy, broadband policy, and industry academic collaboration in Management Information Systems Quarterly, Information Systems Research, ACM Transactions on Computer Human Interaction, Journal of Management Information Systems, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Information Systems Journal, MIS Quarterly Executive, Decision Support Systems, Small Group Research, Communications of the ACM, and Public Administration Review.
His work has been supported by grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF), SIM Advanced Practices Council, Lockheed Martin, Bell Atlantic, IBM, Microsoft Corporation, CIGNA Corporation, Advanta Corporation, Lotus Development Corporation, and Lilly Endowment, Inc.
Mandviwalla currently teaches user experience design and has previously taught the undergraduate capstone course and the graduate introduction to information systems course for the MS Digital Innovation in Marketing, EMBA, and MBA programs. He has also taught executive education seminars on systems thinking for major firms such as NBCUniversal and QVC.
In 2000, IBM selected him for their Faculty Partnership Award in recognition for contributions to E-Business teaching and research. In 2001, The Claremont Graduate University recognized him with their Alumni Hall of Fame award. He received the Association for Information Systems Award for Outstanding Contribution to Information Systems Education in 2016. The students in the MS Digital Innovation in Marketing program selected him as Faculty of the Program in 2016.
Mandviwalla founded the Fox School’s MIS department in 2000 and led the department till 2017. The MIS department is now recognized as one of the top in the world. Mandviwalla has contributed to the field by leading the creation of AIS student chapters, first ever national analysis of jobs in information systems, and the AIS Leadership Excellence Award.
As executive director of the Institute for Business and Information Technology (IBIT), Mandviwalla engages with industry at multiple levels including research and human capital development. IBIT provides knowledge, networking, professional development, and funding. IBIT is a model for industry engagement through the Fox IT awards, The IBIT Report, Analytics Challenge, Cyber Analyst Challenge, and Fox IT advisory board.
Mandviwalla holds a BSc in Systems Engineering from Boston University, a MBA from the Peter F. Drucker School of Management at Claremont Graduate University, and a Ph.D. in Management Information Systems from the Programs in Information Science at Claremont Graduate University.
- Munir Mandviwalla and Richard Watson (2014). Generating Capital from Social Media, MIS Quarterly Executive, Vol 13, No 2 (2014).
- Racherla, P., and Mandviwalla, M. (forthcoming). Moving From Access to Use of the Information Infrastructure: A Multi-level Socio-Technical Framework. Accepted for publication in Information Systems Research, 2013.
- Mandviwalla, M. Making capital out of chaos: Social media strategy. Society for Information Management – Advanced Practices Council Report (SIM APC), October 2012.
- Wattal, S., Schuff, D., Mandviwalla, M., Williams, C. B. (2010). Web 2.0 and Politics: The 2008 U.S. Presidential Election and an E-Politics Research Agenda. Management Information Systems Quarterly (MISQ). Volume 34, Number 4, December 2010, pp. 669-688.
- Racherla, P., Mandviwalla, M., & Connolly, D. (2012). Factors Affecting Consumers’ Trust in Online Product Reviews. Journal of Consumer Behavior, Vol 11, Issue 2, 94-104, March/April, 2012.
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- MIS 4596 – Information Systems Integration