On November 16th, Temple’s Small Business Development Center hosted a virtual workshop on using Facebook for business. The event was led by Jamie Shanker-Passero, associate director of Temple’s Small Business Development Center (SBDC). This workshop offers small businesses and entrepreneurs a chance to learn the basics of utilizing Facebook as part of their business strategy, both to engage with existing customers and to find new customers. Thanks to funding from the U.S. Small Business Administration, this event was offered at no cost.
In this event, a variety of topics were addressed including:
- Why an online presence is necessary.
- The difference between the uses of a website and business page on Facebook.
- Basic steps to launch a business page on Facebook.
- How to find engaging content to post on Facebook.
- The basics of advertising on Facebook.
Attendees were shown how to utilize Facebook’s free “insight” system that gives feedback on your Facebook business page, as well as information about other non-free services such as targeted Facebook ads which can help drive traffic to your Facebook page or website. Attendees also had the chance to learn about the utilization of Google Alerts to keep up to date on new and exciting developments that relate to their businesses. Remember, it is important to avoid being overly self-promotional, customers want helpful, genuine content to entice them to return to your page.
The SBDC has several more upcoming events, including:
- Beyond Brick-and-Mortar: Introduction to eCommerce, Monday, Dec 7, from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Legal Essentials for Doing Business Online Monday, Dec 14, from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Starting a Business 101 Thursday, Jan 7, from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Pitch Deck Bootcamp – Session 1 Saturday, Jan 9, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Contact Jamie Shenker-Passero at JamieSBDC@temple.edu for further information.