Living Her American Dream

May 11, 2016 //

Fernanda Guedes

alumni-profile-2-imageBBA ’08 | Supply Chain New Model Launch Leader, Ford Motor Company, Brazil

Hometown: São Paulo, Brazil

Overseas home: “I loved every single aspect at Temple. I always felt at home.”

Fernanda Guedes achieved her goal of studying in the United States, made life-long connections, and ascended the ranks at Ford Company in Brazil.

In Fall 2005, Fernanda Guedes, BBA ’08, carefully took in the entire scene as she stood in the middle of Temple University’s Main Campus for the first time. She saw students of all walks of life scurrying to and from class, sitting on the benches while reading, or catching up with peers by the Bell Tower.

Guedes smiled as she realized she was living her dream.

“Being at an American university was like watching a movie and recalling scenes from it,” she said. “I had the best time of my life at Temple.”

Three years later, Guedes graduated with Bachelor degrees in International Business and Human Resource Management from the Fox School of Business, and developed her experience in international trade, management and logistics. She’s combined her background and experience to excel in the role of the supply chain new model launch leader at Ford Motor Company in Brazil.

Watching U.S. films and television shows, Guedes knew from a young age that she wanted to receive an education in the United States. In 2004, Guedes enrolled in an Au Pair exchange program in New York City, serving as a nanny for a family in the city. Guedes visited a friend who lived in Philadelphia and quickly fell in love with the City of Brotherly Love.

“Philadelphia is a big city where you can find everything you need – from fun nightlife to easy access to nearby beaches – without the crowdedness and craziness of New York,” said Guedes, 33.

When the Au Pair program ended, Guedes moved to Philadelphia to find an undergraduate program for which she could apply. After researching universities, hearing opinions, and weighing her options, Guedes choose Temple.

“At Temple, I always felt at home and I met many fellow international students, and also American friends who’ve always been kind and supportive,” she said. “I never felt out of place.”