|Office:||Alter Hall 413|
|Research Interests:||Banking and Financial Institutions, Quantitative Finance, Monetary and Macro Theory and Policy|
Ely Elyasiani holds a Ph.D. in economics from Michigan State University and is a faculty in the Finance Department at the Fox School of Business and Management at Temple University. His main areas of research include: banking and financial institutions, financial markets, central banking, macroeconomics, and financial econometrics. He has done research on bank, mutual fund, and insurance company stock return modeling, domestic and international contagion, BHC risk exposure and diversification, financial institution opacity, executive compensation, corporate governance of BHCs, production efficiency, fixed income security pricing, and institutional, minority, and foreign ownership effects.
His publications have appeared in the Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Financial Markets, Journal of Financial Services Research, Journal of Risk and Insurance, Real Estate Economics, Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, and Energy Economics, among others. He has published more than 75 papers with more than 3000 citations. He has taught a variety of economics and finance courses at Michigan State University, Temple University, Hebrew University, and Bar Ilan University at the Ph.D., MBA, and undergraduate levels and has chaired fifteen Ph.D. dissertations. He has also served as the Ph.D. advisor and the chairperson of the Finance Department and as a chair or member of many school-wide and University-wide Committees.
He is a fellow of the Wharton Financial Institution Center, and a Visiting Professor and Dean’s Fellow at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He serves as the banking and macroeconomics editor of the Journal of Economics and Business published by Elsevier publishers.
- “Bank Stability and Managerial Compensation”, Journal of Banking and Finance, volume 37 issue 3, March 2013, 799-813, With Gang Bai.
- “Institutional Ownership Stability and Risk Taking: Evidence from the Life-Health Insurance Industry”, Journal of Risk and Insurance, September 2011, volume 78, issue 3, pages 609-641, with Cheng and Jia.
- “Institutional Ownership Stability and the Cost of Debt”, Journal of Financial Markets, 13-4, November 2010, PP. 475-500, with Jia and Mao.
- “Market Reaction to Regulatory Action in the Insurance Industry: The Case of Contingent Commission”, Journal of Risk and Insurance 77-2, 347-368, June 2010, with Cheng and Lin.
- “Distribution of Institutional Ownership and Corporate Firm Performance”, Journal of Banking and Finance, 34-3, 606-620, March 2010, with Jingyi Jia.
- “Real-estate Risk Effects on Financial Institutions’ Stock Return Distribution: A Bivariate GARCH Analysis”, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, March 2010, 40-1, pages 89-117, with Mansur and Wetmore.
- “Geographic Diversification and BHC Return and Risk Performance”, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, September 2008, Vol. 40, No. 6, 1217-1238, with Deng.
- “Market Risk, Interest Rate Risk, and Interdependencies in Insurer Stock Returns: A System-GARCH Model”, Journal of Risk and Insurance, 75 (4), December 2008, 873-891, with Carson and Mansur.
- “Institutional ownership stability and BHC performance”, Journal of Banking and Finance September (2008), 32-9, pages 1767-1781, with Jia.
- Musser Award for Excellence in Research, Temple University
- Research Honor Roll, Temple University (Various years)
- Senior Cochran Research Fellow
- Fellow: Wharton Financial Institution Center, University of Philadelphia
- Visiting Scholar and Dean’s Fellow: Jerusalem School of Business Administration, Hebrew University
- Management of Financial Institutions
- Financial Markets and Institutions