According to U.S. federal regulations, international students in Nonimmigrant Student (F-1) status are eligible to apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for employment authorization based on post-completion Optional Practical Training for up to twelve months. Beyond that employment authorization, individuals may request that their employers submit to the USCIS petitions to change to Nonimmigrant Worker (H1-B) status for continued eligibiltiy to remain employed in the U.S.

Due to the complexity, many employers are intimidated by the U.S. immigration process and are reluctatnt to sponsor H1-B visas.  In other cases, they simply have a policy preventing sponsorship for entry-level positions.

Updated OPT information is now available

  • new deadlines for OPT application
  • extenstion opportunities for Actuarial Science majors
  • elimination of the H-1B “Cap-Gap”

Click here for more information or visit the Office of International Students website at

What can you do?

  • Tap the hidden job market.  Contact as many people as possible to find out about job openings.  Network with friends, classmates, neighbors, family, professors, alumni, and the community.
  • Reach out to multinational companies. International students are great assets to global or organizations desiring language skills, diversity and knowledge of overseas operations and economies.
  • Look at industries and occupations that are more likely to hire or are in need of international skills and expertise.
  • Secure internships, summer employment, on-campus jobs.  Gaining experience before graduation will be helpful when you are ready for a full-time search and it is a great resume builder.
  • Network with employers at career fairs, information sessions, mock interview and professional development workshops.
  • Get involved in student and internatinoal organizations – you will have opportunities to meet and network with potential employers.

Online resources

Citizenship and Immigration Services

H1-B Company Databases

Job Search & Professional Development Resources

  • Working in the U.S.
  • My Visa Jobs – This is a resource for international students here at Fox who are interested in staying in the U.S. and finding entry-level jobs that don’t require Permanent U.S. Resident, U.S. Citizen or U.S. National work requirements.

University Links

Embassy Resources