Technology is an instrumental cog in the modern business world and is a pillar of the Fox School’s business educational philosophy.
The Fox School is redesigning our curriculum in a way that uses Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus, and other hands-on software tools, across multiple courses. This makes it vital for students to have laptops in the classroom.
In today’s competitive environment, mobile technology has become a requirement, not just a luxury. A laptop makes students navigators of their knowledge: collaborating, researching and communicating anytime, anywhere. The use of mobile computing, both inside and outside the classroom, prepares you for living and learning in today’s world.
Starting in the fall of 2018, the Fox School of Business will mandate that all undergraduate students must have a laptop. To help with this, the Fox School’s Information Technology Department has provided below a recommended specification list for the laptops, as well as a partnership with various vendors to offer you deals and discounts on the purchase of a laptop.
We look forward to employing the new technology-infused curriculum in the near future, giving you and your degree an even greater value in today’s business world.
Recommended Device Specifications
- Windows OS Laptops and Desktops are strongly recommended. No Chromebooks, Netbooks, Android Tablets, or other similar devices, including iPad will work as a replacement.
- Macbooks and iMacs are not advised as they lack compatibility with many of the software suites that will be required as part of course curriculum, e.g., MS Excel, MS Access, ACL.
Historically, prices are most favorable during the back to school period in July or August, and also during the winter holidays period in November and December, as well as other nationally recognized holidays.
Only Windows 10 OS Home or Pro Version, or MAC OSX 10.14 and above can be used, however, OSX 10.14 is the bare minimum. Integrated Webcam or an external USB Webcam along with a compatible headset is required for all Zoom and Online sessions.
To see more detailed information about Temple’s laptop guidelines, please visit this page.
|Entry Level Laptop||Mid Level with SSD||High End with SSD|
|Intel Core 8th gen i3||Intel Core 8th gen i5/AMD Ryzen 5||Intel Core 8th gen i7/AMD Ryzen 7|
|8GB RAM||12-16GB RAM||16-32GB RAM|
|250GB SSD||256GB SSD||512GB SSD|
|13-14 inch LCD||13-14 inch LCD||14 inch LCD|
|1-3 year warranty||1-3 year warranty||1-3 year warranty|
|Average price range $549-$999||Average price range $900+||Average price range $900.00 – $1,500.00+|
Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus is available to all student for free for 4+1 (after graduating) years via Tuportal – Microsoft downloads. Students can use the client based and also cloud based edition. After graduating they get 1 year time to purchase their own copy and transfer the Onedrive cloud storage.
Adobe Creative Cloud suite is available for free from Tuportal Adobe Creative Cloud Download.
SPSS is free in all the Labs. Student can purchase a personal copy if required from OntheHub.com for $40-80 for 6 months for the basic package or $65-110 for the Advanced package a 12 months license.
Onthehub.com has a lot more student discounted software.
All other software (or simulations) come as part of course packs and materials listed in the syllabus for each class.
Technology Resources for Fox Students
- Microsoft Office 365 is available for all Temple students, faculty and staff for FREE. Office 365 includes Microsoft Office 2019 (for PCs or Macs). Students can download and install the software on up to five PCs or Macs via TUportal. For details on the programs included, see the ITS Office 365 information page.
- Adobe Creative Cloud is also available for all Temple students, faculty and staff for FREE. Creative Cloud includes apps such as Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and more. For details on how to obtain the software, see the ITS Adobe Creative Cloud page.
- OWLbox offers 100GB of FREE storage space. Students, faculty and staff can store and share files, collaborate on projects and sync and edit files.
- Print on the Go Mobile allows students to submit print requests by emailing their attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org from any mobile device.
- Zoom offers students (and faculty and staff) the convenience of meeting with classmates online to complete group projects. This is also an excellent resource to keep in mind this winter. In lieu of cancelling class due to weather, consider scheduling the class online using this web conferencing service.