Technology is an instrumental cog in the modern business world and is a pillar of the Fox School’s business educational philosophy.
The Fox School is redesigning our curriculum in a way that uses Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus, and other hands-on software tools, across multiple courses. This makes it vital for students to have laptops in the classroom.
In today’s competitive environment, mobile technology has become a requirement, not just a luxury. A laptop makes students navigators of their knowledge: collaborating, researching and communicating anytime, anywhere. The use of mobile computing, both inside and outside the classroom, prepares you for living and learning in today’s world.
Starting in the fall of 2018, the Fox School of Business will mandate that all undergraduate students must have a laptop. To help with this, the Fox School’s Information Technology Department has provided below a recommended specification list for the laptops, as well as a partnership with various vendors to offer you deals and discounts on the purchase of a laptop.
We look forward to employing the new technology-infused curriculum in the near future, giving you and your degree an even greater value in today’s business world.
Recommended Device Specifications
- Windows OS Laptops and Desktops are strongly recommended. No Chromebooks, Netbooks, Android Tablets, or other similar devices, including iPad will work as a replacement.
- Macbooks and iMacs are not advised as they lack compatibility with many of the software suites that will be required as part of course curriculum, e.g., MS Excel, MS Access, ACL, PowerShell.
Historically, prices are most favorable during the back to school period in July or August, and also during the winter holidays period in November and December, as well as other nationally recognized holidays.
Only Windows 10 OS Home or Pro Version (20H2 and above), Windows 11, or MAC OSX 12.x and above can be used. Integrated Webcam or an external USB Webcam along with a compatible headset is required for all Zoom and Online sessions.
To see more detailed information about Temple’s laptop guidelines, please visit this page.
|Entry Level Laptop||Mid Level with SSD||High End with SSD|
|Intel Core 10th gen i3||Intel Core 10th gen i5/AMD Ryzen 5||Intel Core 10th gen i7/AMD Ryzen 7|
|16GB RAM||16-32GB RAM||16-32GB RAM|
|256GB SSD||256-512GB SSD||512GB SSD|
|13-14 inch screen|
a minimum of Full HD resolution
|13.3-15.6 inch screen|
Full HD resolution
consider touch screen
|13.3+ inch screen|
Full HD resolution
consider touch screen
|1-3 year warranty||1-3 year warranty||1-3 year warranty|
|Average price range $900+||Average price range $1500-$2000||Average price range $1,600.00 – $3,000.00+|
Suggested Laptop Vendors
- Owltech (The Owlstore now handles repairs for both Apple and Lenovo devices)
- Software House International
- Microsoft Discount Program
Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus is available to all student for free for 4+1 (after graduating) years via Tuportal – Microsoft downloads. Students can use the client based and also cloud based edition. After graduating they get 1 year time to purchase their own copy and transfer the Onedrive cloud storage.
Adobe Creative Cloud suite is available for free from Tuportal Adobe Creative Cloud Download.
SPSS is free in all the Labs. Student can purchase a personal copy if required from OntheHub.com for $40-80 for 6 months for the basic package or $65-110 for the Advanced package a 12 months license.
Onthehub.com has a lot more student discounted software.
All other software (or simulations) come as part of course packs and materials listed in the syllabus for each class.
For specialty software needs within a lab setting, Students have access to various Tech Labs on campus.
If you are an MIS major, please contact your Program Administrator for more info on software being used.
Technology Resources for Fox Students
- Microsoft Office 365 is available for all Temple students, faculty and staff for FREE. Office 365 includes Microsoft Office 2019 (for PCs or Macs). Students can download and install the software on up to five PCs or Macs via TUportal. For details on the programs included, see the ITS Office 365 information page.
- Adobe Creative Cloud is also available for all Temple students, faculty and staff for FREE. Creative Cloud includes apps such as Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and more. For details on how to obtain the software, see the ITS Adobe Creative Cloud page.
- OneDrive offers 1TB of FREE storage space. Students, faculty and staff can store and share files, collaborate on projects and sync and edit files.
- Print on the Go Mobile allows students to submit print requests by emailing their attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org from any mobile device.
- Zoom offers students (and faculty and staff) the convenience of meeting with classmates online to complete group projects. This is also an excellent resource to keep in mind this winter. In lieu of cancelling class due to weather, consider scheduling the class online using this web conferencing service.
An Internet connection is required to attend virtual class sessions and take full advantage of the resources Temple University offers to students. Major Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have existing programs providing financial assistance to customers who meet their income qualifications including:
- Comcast Internet Essentials: Affordable Internet at Home for Eligible Households: https://internetessentials.com/
- Verizon FiOS via the FCC assistance program: Lifeline Discount Program https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/account/manage-account/lifeline-discount
- FCC Program Lifeline Support for Affordable Communications: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/lifeline-support-affordable-communications