Dr. Munir Mandviwalla is Professor of Management Information Systems, Cigna Research Fellow, and Executive Director of the Institute for Business and Information Technology at the Fox School of Business, Temple University.
Mandviwalla collaborates with industry on research, focusing on how design can improve business and society on topics such as digital transformation, broadband, social media, and IT workforce. His work has been published in top journals including MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, ACM Transactions on Computer Human Interaction, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Public Administration Review, and others. As part of his research, he has created several novel software platforms leading to a pending patent. He is also the co-founder of a Temple University spinoff – PRO Community, LLC on student and employee engagement and development.
Mandviwalla has generated close to $9 million in grants, sponsored funds, and endowments from Lockheed Martin, NBCUniversal, Campbell Soup, Pfizer, QVC, Scholastic, SAP, Walmart, National Science Foundation, IBM, Microsoft, CIGNA, and others. He teaches user experience design and systems thinking and has taught executive education seminars on systems thinking for Fortune 50 firms.
Mandviwalla was the founding chair of the Fox School’s MIS department, leading the department till 2017. Fox MIS is recognized and ranked as a leading department worldwide. He led the creation of Association for Information Systems (AIS) student chapters, IS Job Index – a biennial analysis of the entry level IT workforce, and the AIS Leadership Excellence Award.
As executive director of the university-wide Institute for Business and Information Technology (IBIT), Mandviwalla engages with industry on knowledge and human capital development through the IT advisory board, corporate membership, Digital Innovation Foundry, and other programs. IBIT also offers a no-cost digital transformation service for small business and non-profits.
Mandviwalla has received the Claremont Graduate University Alumni Hall of Fame award, AIS Award for Outstanding Contribution to Information Systems Education, and the IBM E-Business Award. He holds a BSc in Systems Engineering from Boston University, MBA from the Peter F. Drucker School of Management, and Ph.D. from the Programs in Information Science at Claremont Graduate University.
- Mandviwalla, M. and Flanagan, R. “Small Business Digital Transformation in the Context of the Pandemic.” European Journal of Information Systems, 30(4), 359-375, March 2021. https://doi.org/10.1080/0960085X.2021.1891004
- Mandviwalla, M., Desai, D., Descano, D., Dignan, L. Kearns, C., and R. Sankaran. “Guest Editorial: An industry perspective on major post-pandemic issues.” Peer reviewed guest editorial. MIS Quarterly Executive, 20(1), Article 2, v-xi, March 2021.
- Mandviwalla, M. “Generating and Justifying Design Theory.” Journal of the Association for Information Systems. Volume 16, Issue 5, pp. 314-344, May 2015.
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- Fox School of Business, Temple University
- MIS 5801 – Managing Information in the Enterprise
- MIS 3506 – User Experience Design
In the News
- Main Street, “Information Technology Students Get to Feel Pretty Smug”
- The Street, “4 Reasons Tech Students Get to Feel Superior”
- ZD Net, “MIS Students Most Likely to Land Systems Analyst Gigs, Says Report”