A business professional with nearly 40 years of experience gained at Fortune 500 and mid-sized companies, Mike has held a variety of executive roles in multiple disciplines throughout his career, including senior executive, mid-management, and staff positions in Accounting, Finance, Materials Management, Operations, Information Technology, and Human Resources. He draws from this unique mix of experiences to create practical solutions to leadership and business operations challenges facing growing organizations.
Mike currently serves as the Academic Director for the Global Executive MBA program at the Fox School of Business at Temple University. Since 2016, he has served as an Assistant Professor of Instruction in the Department of Human Resource Management and Adjunct Instructor for over 25 years before that. Mike developed and teaches graduate and undergraduate level courses in Organizational Staffing and Career Development, HR Metrics, Leadership, and Using Big Data. He teaches in the EMBA & MSHRM programs on a regular basis; and has instructed at Temple’s Colombia and Tokyo locations, as well as Temple’s former EMBA Partner schools in Paris and Singapore. He received a Teacher of the Year Award for Instructional Innovation in 1999 and an Adjunct Teacher of the Year Award in 2010.
Mike’s 40-year business career includes a variety of leadership roles. He served as Vice President of Human Resources for the largest division of Genesis HealthCare, a $6 billion publicly traded enterprise with nearly 100,000 employees. Previously, Mike served as Vice President of Talent Acquisition and Development for all of Genesis HealthCare from 2007-2014; and he also had operational oversight responsibilities for Career Staff Unlimited, Inc. – one of the nation’s leading providers of temporary staffing services to the healthcare industry. Mike also held a number of Management and Executive roles with The Vanguard Group in Human Resources, IT, and Business Operations.
Mike is a Certified Six Sigma Green Belt. He is also MBTI® Certified and he holds certifications in Caliper’s and Profiles’ Talent Assessment tools. In 2011, Mike was named HR Person of the Year for the Philadelphia area. Mike continues to partner in the HR and leadership space with regular consulting engagements across the US. Mike is a Partner at HR & Recruiting Solutions, and at Talent/IQ Advisors, two Philadelphia based HR consultancy firms specializing in Talent Management Acquisition, Development, and Optimization.
Mike holds his MBA in Human Resources from Temple University, and a BS in Marketing/Management from Saint Joseph’s University. He has also served as a member of Profiles International’s Client Advisory Council; and served on the Board of Advisors for the YMCA in Kennett Square, PA, as Board Member, Treasurer, Chairman, and Past Chairman from 2008-2014.
- Intro to HR Metrics – Human Capital Analytics: It’s a Journey, But One Worth Taking – Temple University Executive Education – Morgan, Lewis Bockius HR Department – January 2018 – Philadelphia, PA
- HR Metrics – Human Capital Analytics: It’s a Journey, But One Worth Taking – EACE – June 2016 – Philadelphia, PA
- HR Metrics – Human Capital Analytics: It’s a Journey, But One Worth Taking – Philly SHRM – February 2016 – Philadelphia, PA
- HR Metrics – Human Capital Analytics: It’s a Journey, But One Worth Taking – PSPS – October 2015 – King of Prussia, PA
- Executive Recruiting – What’s Next for Recruiting Leaders? – Salevson-Stetson Conference – December 2012 – Paoli, PA
- Using Metrics to Customize Talent Development – October 17, 2012 – IEEC Knowledge Learning Series Event – Singapore
- Executive Recruiting – What’s Next for Recruiting Leaders? – DoubleStar Conference – August 2012 – Paoli, PA
- Talent Assessment – Making the Quality of Hire Difference – August 16, 2012 – Webinar – Aberdeen Group (delivered with Mollie Lombardi, Research Director – Human Capital Management, Aberdeen Group and Jack Kramer, Vice President of Field Operations for SkillSurvey)
- Making the Business Case for Right-Sizing Recruiting – May 1, 2012 – Human Capital Institute – New York, NY (delivered with Loren Moore, Manager, Talent Acquisition, Vertex and moderated by Harry Griendling, Founder & CEO, DoubleStar, Inc.)
- Taking a New Look at Talent Management in Healthcare – April 19, 2012 – Webinar – Bersin & Associates (delivered with Kim Lamoureux, Senior Director Research Practices and Principal Analyst at Bersin & Associates)
- Assessment Methods and Processes Used to Identify Top Internal Talent – December 6, 2011 – The Talent Acquisition Leadership Alliance Philadelphia, PA
- Talent 2012: Measuring the Impact of Talent Management on Corporate Sustainability – December 6, 2011 – Webinar – Philadelphia Human Resource Planning Society
- Succession Preparation Made Simpler – Using Metrics to Customize Talent Development – September 23, 2011 – Evanta HR Leadership Summit – Philadelphia, PA (delivered with Jeanne Phillips, CHRO, Genesis HealthCare)
- Talent 2011: Measuring the Impact of Talent Management on Corporate Sustainability – September 15, 2011 – Profiles International Client Conference Dallas TX
- Making Talent Management Relevant to the Business – Linking Talent and Business Outcomes – April 5, 2011 – Philadelphia Human Resource Planning Society King of Prussia, PA
- Big Data Brings Big Change to the Recruiting Table by Nine To Thrive HR – HCI – August 2018
- Guest speaker, Meeting, Meeting of Delaware Valley Employee and Labor Relations Managers, CUE Regional Employee Relations Meeting August 2018
- Webinar – Using Big Date in the Talent Selection Process to Find & Hire Top Talent – December 12,2018 – HCI Group
- Co-delivered a presentation on HR’s Role During Mergers & Acquisitions on 1/23/2019 with Sarah Tunku Mu’tamir (a partner at PwC) for Philly SHRM’s (Society of Human Resource Management) Emerging Leaders Career Development Series.
- Guest speaker, Meeting, Meeting of Delaware Valley Employee and Labor Relations Managers, CUE Regional Employee Relations Meeting August 2019
- USING HUMAN CAPITAL METRICS TO MAKE ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE – Philly SHRM – September 2020 – Philadelphia, PA
Recent Awards and Memberships
- Chair of Senior HR Advisory Board – Fox School HRM Department (2016-2019)
- Director of External Relations – Fox School HRM Department (current)
- Co-Director Human Capital Analytics Center – Fox School HRM Department (current)
- Co-lead of PSPS Human Capital Analytics Forum (2013-2015)
- Member SHRM & PSPS (current)
- Chairman of Temple University’s HR / Business Roundtable – 2008-2015
- Member Client Advisory Council – Profiles International (2009-2014)
- Board of Advisors for the YMCA in Kennett Square, PA. Served as Board Member, Treasurer, Chairman, and Past Chairman – 2008 through 2014
- Delaware Valley HR Department of the Year Award for Excellence in Talent Acquisition – November 2013
- Alumnus of the Year Award (HR Department) – Fox School of Business, Temple University – April 2012
- HR Person of the Year for the Philadelphia area – May 2011
- Adjunct Teacher of the Year Award (HR Department) – Fox School of Business, Temple University – November 2010
- Six Sigma Green Belt – October 2006
- MBTI® Certified – July 2006
- Commencement speaker for MBA graduates at Temple University – September 2001
- Teacher of the Year Award (for Excellence in Instructional Innovation) – Fox School of Business, Temple University – April 1999Academic Director – Fox EMBA Program (current)
- Co-founder – Philadelphia People Analytics Network (Fall 2019 – present)
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- Developed an HR Metrics course and co-developed a Human Resource Information System course for exclusive use at Temple University. Students learn consultative HR partnering techniques using information analysis tools to solve business problems in staffing, succession planning, retention, compensation and benefits, outsourcing, and mergers and acquisitions, as well as developing a business-linked HR dashboard.
- Courses include: Introduction to Management, Introduction to Human Resources, Organizational Staffing (HRIS offering), Leadership Best Practices, and HR Metrics at the graduate and undergraduate level.
- Guest lecturer for Executive MBA classes at Temple University’s Singapore, Colombia, and Tokyo campuses, and Temple’s EMBA Partner school in Paris – Ecole des Ponts since 2017
- Instructor for Graduate level HR courses at IGS Paris campus (2003-present).