Ely Elyasiani holds a Ph.D. in economics from Michigan State University and is a faculty in the Finance Department at the Fox School of Business and Management at Temple University. His main areas of research include: banking and financial institutions, financial markets, central banking, macroeconomics, and financial econometrics. He has done research on bank, mutual fund, and insurance company stock return modeling, domestic and international contagion, BHC risk exposure and diversification, financial institution opacity, executive compensation, corporate governance of BHCs, production efficiency, fixed income security pricing, and institutional, minority, and foreign ownership effects.
His publications have appeared in the Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Financial Markets, Journal of Financial Services Research, Journal of Risk and Insurance, Real Estate Economics, Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, and Energy Economics, among others. He has published more than 75 papers with more than 3000 citations. He has taught a variety of economics and finance courses at Michigan State University, Temple University, Hebrew University, and Bar Ilan University at the Ph.D., MBA, and undergraduate levels and has chaired fifteen Ph.D. dissertations. He has also served as the Ph.D. advisor and the chairperson of the Finance Department and as a chair or member of many school-wide and University-wide Committees.
He is a fellow of the Wharton Financial Institution Center, and a Visiting Professor and Dean’s Fellow at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He serves as the banking and macroeconomics editor of the Journal of Economics and Business published by Elsevier publishers.
- “Moment risk premia and the cross-section of stock returns in the European stock market”, forthcoming in Journal of Banking and Finance, published online, 24 December 2019, with Luca Gambarelli and Silvia Muzzioli.
- “Cross-Industry Product Diversification and Contagion in Risk and Return: The Case of Bank-Insurance and Insurance-Bank Takeovers”, Journal of Risk and Insurance, V 83, No. 3, 681–718, August 2016, with Sotiris Staikouras and Dontis-Charitos.
- “Institutional Ownership Stability and the Cost of Debt”, Journal of Financial Markets, 13-4, November 2010, PP. 475-500, with Jia and Mao.
- “Geographic Diversification and BHC Return and Risk Performance”, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, September 2008, Vol. 40, No. 6, 1217-1238, with Deng.
- “Sensitivity of the Bank Stock Returns Distribution to Changes in the Level and Volatility of Interest Rate: A GARCH-M Model”, Journal of Banking and Finance, May 1998, with Mansur.
- “The Wealth Effect of Yield Curve Changes on the Banking Firm”, forthcoming in Financial Markets, Institutions, and Instruments, with Iftekhar Hasan, Elena Kalotychou, Panos K. Pouliasis, and Sotiris K. Staikouras.
- “Oil Price Shocks and Industry Stock Returns”, Energy Economics, September 2011, vol. 33, issue 5, pages 966-974, with Mansur and Odusami.
- Musser Award for Excellence in Research, Temple University
- Research Honor Roll, Temple University (Various years)
- Senior Cochran Research Fellow, Fox School of Business and Management, Temple University.
- Fellow: Wharton Financial Institution Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Visiting Scholar and Dean’s Fellow: Jerusalem School of Business Administration, Hebrew University.
- Visiting Scholar, Bar Ilan university, Ramat Gan, Israel.
- Editor, Journal of Economics and Business.
- Management of Financial Institutions
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Fixed Income Modeling and Analysis.