Department: Management Information Systems
Office: Speakman Hall 201A
Research Interests: Digital Innovation, Design, Experiential Computing
Youngjin Yoo is the Founding Director of Center for Design+Innovation at Temple University, where he is Professor in Management Information Systems and Strategy, and Irwin L. Gross Senior Research Fellow. He is also the founder and Principal Investigator of Urban Apps & Maps Studios, an interdisciplinary initiative for digital urban entrepreneurship in North Philadelphia. He is also WBS Distinguished Research Environment Professor at Warwick Business School, UK.
Read More . . .
Prior to joining Temple University, he was the Lewis-Progressive Chair of Management at Case Western Reserve University. He is also teaching digital innovation strategy at Indian School of Business, Aalto University in Finland, and Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology. He was a summer research fellow at NASA in summer of 2001 and spent a year as a research associate in 2003 – 2004 at NASA Glenn Research Center. He was also a visiting professor at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden, Viktoria Institute in Sweden, Hitotsubashi University in Japan, Hong Kong City University, Yonsei University, Korea and Tokyo University of Science, Japan. He holds a PhD in Information Systems from the University of Maryland. His research interests include: digital innovation and entrepreneurship, organizational genetics, societal use of technology and design. He has received over $3.5 million in research grant from National Science Foundation, NASA, James S. and John L. Knight Foundation, the Department of Commerce, National Research Foundation of Korea, and Samsung Electronics. His work was published at leading academic journals such as MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Organization Science, the Communications of the ACM, and the Academy of Management Journal among others. He is Senior Editor of MIS Quarterly, the Journal of AIS, and the Journal Information Technology, and is on the editorial board of Organization Science, Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems, and Information and Organization. He was a former senior editor of the Journal of Strategic Information Systems and an associate editor of Information Systems Research and Management Science. Recently, he was ranked #1 in the world for year 2010 for his research productivity published in top MIS journals. He has worked with leading companies including Samsung Electronics, American Greetings, Bendix, Moen, Intel, Ford Motor Company, Andersen Consulting, IDEO, Gehry and Partners, University Hospitals in Cleveland, American Management Systems, Lotus, NASA, Parker Hannifin, Poly One and the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Shen, Z., Yoo, Y., and Lyytinen, K. A study on Time-Space and Information and Communication Technology in Work Groups: A Review and Future Research Challenges. Forthcoming. European Journal of Information Systems.
- Eaton, B., Elauf-Calderwood, S., Sorenson, C., & Yoo, Y. Distributed Tuning of Boundary Resources: The Case of Apple’s iOS Service System. Forthcoming. MIS Quarterly.
- Gaskin, J., Berente, N., Lyytinen, K. & Yoo, Y. Forthcoming. Toward a generalizable sociomaterial inquiry: A computational approach for zooming in and out of sociomaterial routines. MIS Quarterly.
- Henfrdisson, O. and Yoo, Y. (2014). The liminality of trajectory shifts in institutional entrepreneurship. Organization Science. 25:3, 932-950.
- Yoo, Y., (2013), The Table Has Turned: How can IS field contribute to technology and innovation management? Journal of the Association for Information Systems. 14:5, Article 4.
Awards and Honors
- The 52 Smartest People in Philadelphia, Philadelphia Magazine, 2012.
- Best Research-in-Progress Award, International Conference of Information Systems, 2012.
- Dean’s Research Roundtable, Fox School School of Business, 2012.
- Musser Award for Excellence in Leadership for Research, Fox School of Business, 2011.
- Best Paper Award, International Conference of Information Systems, 2011.
- Ranked #1 Worldwide in Research Productivity in 2011, Association of Information Systems.
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- Designing Urban Digital Start-ups (MBA and Undergraduate elective)
- Information Technology Policy, Strategy and Management (MBA elective)
- Designing Innovation in an iPod world (MBA elective)
- Research seminar in Information Systems: An Organizational Perspective (PhD)
- Computing in the 21st Century (Undergraduate elective)
- Information Systems Innovation (Undergraduate elective)
- Scientific Inquiry of Management Research (PhD and EDBA core)
In the News