Title: Associate Professor
Department: Management Information Systems
Office: Speakman Hall 201E
Dr. Wattal’s Curriculum Vitae
Sunil Wattal (PhD, Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University) joined the MIS Department at Temple University as an Assistant Professor in Spring 2007. He also holds a Bachelors in Engineering from BITS Pilani (India), an MBA from IIM Calcutta (India), and an MS (Industrial Administration) from Carnegie Mellon University.
Read More . . .
Sunil currently teaches management information systems at the undergraduate level and a capstone course at the masters level. His research interests include economics of information systems, technology adoption, privacy, software security, and internet marketing.
- An Empirical Examination of Cultural Differences in Online Interpersonal Exchange’ with G. Burtch and A. Ghose - forthcoming MIS Quarterly
- ‘An Empirical Examination of the Antecedents and Consequences of Contribution Patterns in Crowd-Funded Markets’ with G. Burtch and A. Ghose - Information Systems Research (forthcoming)
- ‘What's in a "name"? Impact of Use of Customer Information in Email Advertisement’ with R. Telang, T. Mukhopadhyay and P. Boatwright, Information Systems Research, 23(3 – Part 1), 2012, pp 679 - 697
- ‘R&D versus Acquisitions: Role of Diversification in the choice of Innovation Strategy by IT Firms’ with R. Banker and J. M. Plehn-Dujowich, Journal of Management Information Systems, 28(2), 2011, pp. 109-144
- ‘Web 2.0 and Politics: The 2008 U.S. Presidential Election and an E-Politics Research Agenda’ with D. Schuff, M. Mandviwalla and C. Williams, MIS Quarterly, 34(4), 2010, pp. 669 - 688
- 'Network Externalities and Technology Use: A Quantitative Analysis of Intraorganizational Blogs', with P. Racherla and M. Mandviwalla, Journal of Management Information Systems, 27(1), Summer 2010, pp. 145 - 174
- 'Information Personalization in a Two-Dimensional Product Differentiation Model', with Telang R, and T. Mukhopadhyay, Journal of Management Information Systems, 26(2), Fall 2009, pp. 69 - 95
- ‘An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Software Vulnerability Announcements on Firm Stock Price’ with R. Telang, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 33(8), August 2007, pp. 544 - 557
Awards and Honors
- Selected to attend ICIS and AMCIS Doctoral Consortiums
- Finalist at Fourth Annual Doctoral Support Award 2004 organized by the eBRC at Penn State University
- William Larimer Mellon Fellowship, Carnegie Mellon University
- Best Paper at International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2012 in research in progress category for the paper titled ‘Generative Diffusion of Innovations: An Organizational Genetics Approach’ with Z Zhang, Y Yoo, and R Kulathinal (ICIS is the premier conference in MIS with acceptance rates of around 25%)
- MIS Researcher of the Year, Temple University 2010
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award – Fall 2009, for notable service to the journal (Management Science) as a reviewer
- Nominated for Best Paper at Hawaii International Conference for Systems Sciences (HICSS) – Jan 2009 for the paper titled ‘Employee Adoption of Corporate Blogs: A Quantitative Analysis’ with M Mandviwalla and P Racherla
- Fox School Crystal Award for Innovation in Teaching – Fall 2009
- Leader in Teaching Innovation Award at Fox School of Business – Spring 2009
Fox School of Business, Temple University
Data Analytics Internet Enabled Supply Chain Information Systems in Organizations Management Information Systems Foundations and Theory Managing Information in the Enterprise Capstone in Information Technology
Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business
Information Systems in Organizations Management Information Systems Regression Analysis
In the News
- Philly Voice, "Crowdfunding Campaigns That Have Raised the Most Money on Go Fund Me"
- The Economic Times, "Ola Becomes Third-Most Valuable Venture-Backed Company After Raising Rs 2,500 crore"
- The Next Web, Hey Startups: Don't Start Your Emails with "Dear [Name]"
- Politico, "Wanted: A Definitive Analysis of Social Media"
- The Temple News, Professors Awarded Grant to Analyze Digital Traces
- India Times, "Flipkart Identifies 3 New High-margin Revenue Streams: Online advertising, Brand consulting, Furniture"
- The Economic Times, "Softbank-Backed Companies Housing.com and Snapdeal Bet Big on Selling Properties Online"
- The Economic Times, "Olacabs to Buy TaxiForSure to Take on Competitors Like Uber; Deal Likely at Rs 1,250 Crore"
- ET Auto, "Delhi Rape Case: Banning Taxi Companies Like Uber, Ola is Just Another Way of Passing the Buck
- The Economic Times, "Startup Housing.com Valued at Rs 1,500 Crore after SoftBank Acquires 30% stake for $70"
- The Economic Times, "Real Estate Portal Housing.com Ties up with Tata Value Homes to Sell Affordable Apartments"
- CBS News, "Philadelphia is Uber's Newest Battleground"