|Office:||Alter Hall 407|
|Research Interests:||Corporate Investment, Corporate Disclosure, Corporate Governance, Accounting Information and Managerial Decision Making|
Shira Cohen joined the Temple faculty as an Assistant Professor of Accounting after earning her PhD from Columbia University. Her research interests can be grouped into two main areas. The first attempts to understand how managers use financial statement information in making investment decisions, and the second focuses on corporate disclosures. Her dissertation received the Best Paper Award at the 2014 AAA Regional Meeting.
Prior to entering academia, Professor Cohen gained extensive work experience in both the consulting and finance industries. As a management consultant she took part in post-merger integration of Fortune 500 companies, and as an investment banker she worked primarily on valuation of hedge fund positions. Her experience ranges across industries, both domestically and internationally.
In addition to industry experience, during the 2017-2018 academic year, Professor Cohen served as a visiting scholar-in residence at the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in Washington, D.C. During her time in government, she worked as a financial economist, gaining in-depth policy experience and providing economic and risk analysis on both proposed and adopted regulation.
As a graduate student, Professor Cohen taught at Columbia Business School’s Executive Education and Executive MBA programs. In recognition of her classroom accomplishments, she was selected as a finalist for the 2011 Presidential Graduate Student Teaching Award.
In addition to a PhD, Professor Cohen holds an MBA from Columbia Business School and a BA from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Provost Office Sabbatical Research Award, Temple University (fall semester), 2018
- High Achievement in Sponsored Project Research Award, Temple University, 2017
- Merit Award, Temple University, 2014-2017 (academic years)
- UN Portfolio Decarbonization Coalition (PDC) Research Prize, Finalist, 2016
- IRRC Institute Research Paper Award, Honorable Mention, 2015
- Best Paper Award, AAA Regional Meeting, 2014
- Education Foundation for Women in Accounting Ph.D. Fellowship, 2013
- European Accounting Association Summer School Fellow, 2013
- Presidential Graduate Student Teaching Award, Finalist, 2011
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- Financial Accounting 2101
- Guest Speaker on CNBC’s Fast Money, May 2007