Sheryl Winston Smith
Sheryl Winston Smith
Title: Assistant Professor
Department: Strategic Management
Office: Alter Hall 540
Research Interests: Strategic Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Knowledge Search, Entrepreneurial Finance, Accelerators
Sheryl Winston Smith is Assistant Professor of Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship at the Fox School of Business at Temple University. She received her Ph.D. from Harvard University and her B.S. from Yale University. Dr. Winston Smith’s areas of research expertise include: entrepreneurial finance, technology-related entrepreneurship, venture capital and corporate venturing, international entrepreneurship, and the economics of innovation, strategy and competitive advantage. She was recently awarded a grant from the National Science Foundation to study the impact of seed accelerators on innovation and entrepreneurial decision-making. Her research has been published and presented widely, and was awarded the Kauffman Foundation Best Paper Prize at the Strategic Management Society. As well, she has been the recipient of various fellowships and grants including from the Kauffman Foundation and the Rotary Foundation. She holds leadership roles in several organizations, including Representative-at-Large in the Strategic Management Society (SMS) for the Knowledge and Innovation Interest Group; Chair of the Board Nominating Committee in the Industry Studies Association (ISA); and Track Chair in Innovation and Entrepreneurship in for the ISA Conference 2011 and 2012.
Read More . . .
Prior to her appointment at the Fox School of Business, she carried out postdoctoral work at the Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota and was a Visiting Scholar at the Sloan School of Management at MIT. As well, she brings with her professional experience in the private and public sectors including currently serving on the advisory board of Mid-Atlantic Diamond Ventures (MADV), which advises entrepreneurs and facilitates early-stage financing in the Mid-Atlantic region. She was elected to the Springside Chestnut Hill Academy Board of Trustees in Philadelphia, where she also serves on the Venture Incubator Advisory Board.
- "Follow Me to the Innovation Frontier? Leaders, Laggards, and the Differential Effects of Imports and Exports on Technological Innovation," Journal of International Business Studies, 2014, Vol. 45: 248–274
- "Do Innovative Users Generate More Useful Insights??An Analysis of Corporate Venture Capital Investments in the Medical Device Industry" (with Sonali Shah), Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 2013, Volume 7: 151–167
- "How Much do Physician Entrepreneurs Contribute to New Medical Devices?" (with Andrew Sfekas), Medical Care, 2013,Volume 51 (5): 461-467
- "New Firm Financing and Performance”, Oxford Handbook of Entrepreneurial Finance, Ed. Douglas Cumming, (Oxford University Press, 2012).
- "Who Are User Entrepreneurs? Findings on Innovation, Founder Characteristics & Firm Characteristics" (with Sonali Shah & E.J. Reedy), Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation Research Report, February 2012
Awards and Honors
- National Science Foundation (NSF), The Impact of Seed Accelerators on Innovation and Entrepreneurial Decision-Making ($191,000) (awarded May 2014)
- Best Paper Award, Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, Strategic Management Society Annual Meeting, Rome, 2010
- Promising Paper Award, Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, 2011
- Next Generation of Leaders in Science and Technology Policy Scholar (American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)-sponsored award), 2002
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- Theoretical Foundations of Entrepreneurship (Doctoral seminar)
- The Crowd, The Cloud, and Open Innovation (MBA)
- Honors Global Business Policies (Undergraduate capstone)
In the News
- "How Much Do Physician Entrepreneurs Contribute to New Medical Devices?" (UPI, World News, MedicalXpress, MDLinx, Newsday)
- "Who are Entrepreneurs? Findings on Innovation, Founder Characteristics & Firm Characteristics" (Wall Street Journal, Fortune/CNN Money, USA Today, CNBC, MSNBC, Dallas Morning News, Miami Herald, Toronto Globe and Mail, Entrepreneur)
Search for a Faculty or Staff member.
Fox Faculty Policies