Title: Assistant Professor
Department: Dept. of Strategic Management
Office: Alter Hall 544
Research Interests: Entrepreneurship, Technology Management, and Organization Theory
Seok-Woo Kwon is an Assistant Professor in Strategic Management. Seok-Woo’s research interests include entrepreneurship technology management, and organization theory.
Read More . . .
Prior to joining the Fox School, he has taught at University of California at Riverside, University of Kentucky, and University of Southern California. Seok-Woo has published several refereed journal articles, and numerous conference proceedings and book chapters. One of his articles, “Social Capital: Prospects for a New Concept,” received the Academy of Management Review’s Decade Award. He has also received a grant from The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and several honors and awards. Seok-Woo has earned a PhD and a MA from University of Southern California, a MA in Cultural Anthropology from the University of Chicago, and a Bachelor’s degree, with high distinction, in Anthropology from the University of Michigan.
- Seok-Woo Kwon & Paul Adler, Social capital: Maturation of a field of research, Academy of Management Review, Oct. 2014
- Seok-Woo Kwon, Colleen Heflin, & Martin Ruef, Community-level social capital and entrepreneurship, American Sociological Review, 78(6): 980-1008, 2013
- Paul Adler & Seok-Woo Kwon, The mutation of professionalism as a contested diffusion process: Clinical guidelines as carriers of institutional change in medicine, Journal of Management Studies, 50:930-962, 2013
- Seok-Woo Kwon & Pia Arenius, Nations of entrepreneurs: A social capital perspective, Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 25, No. 3, 2010
- Seok-Woo Kwon, Does the standardization process matter? A study of cost effectiveness in hospital drug formularies, Management Science, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2008
- Paul Adler, Seok-Woo Kwon, & Charles Heckscher, Professional work: The emergence of collaborative community, Organization Science, Vol. 19, No. 2, 2008
- Paul Adler, Patricia Riley, Seok-Woo Kwon, Jordana Signer, Ben Lee, and Ram Satrasala, Performance improvement capability: Keys to accelerating performance improvement in hospitals, California Managment Review
- Paul Adler and Seok-Woo Kwon, Social capital: Prospects for a new concept, Academy of Management Review, Jan. 2002 (Academy of Management Review Decade Award, 2012; Best AMR Paper of 2002 Award)
Awards and Honors
- W. Richard Scott Award for Distinguished Scholarship from the Section on Organizations, Occupations, and Work, in American Sociological Association, 2014
- Academy of Management Review Decade Award, 2012
- W.H. Newman Award for best paper based on a dissertation at the Academy of Management meetings, 2005
- Outstanding Paper based on a Dissertation Award in the Health Care Management Division, Academy of Management, 2005
- Academy of Management Review 2002 Best Paper Award, 2003
- Finalist for the 2002 INFORMS/Organization Science Dissertation Proposal Competition, 2002
- University Doctoral Fellowship, University of Southern California, 1993-1997
- Tuition support, the Annenberg School for Communication, University of Southern California, 1989 to 1990
- Century scholarship, University of Chicago, 1987 to 1989
- Second place winner in the Afro-American Essay Competition, The Center for Afro-American Studies, University of Michigan, 1986
Fox School of Business, Temple University, Philadelphia
- BA 9001 Organizations & Management Theory (Ph.D.)
- SGM 3503 Managing New and Small Enterprises (Undergraduate)
In The News
Search for a Faculty or Staff member.
Fox Faculty Policies