Title: Milton F. Stauffer Professor of Information Technology and Strategy
Department: Management Information Systems
Office: Alter Hall 334
Research Interests: Data Analytics, Electronic Commerce, Digital Business Strategy
Paul A. Pavlou is the Milton F. Stauffer Professor of Information Technology and Strategy at the Fox School of Business at Temple University. He is also the Fox School’s Chief Research Officer and Associate Dean of Research, Doctoral Programs, and Strategic Initiatives.
Paul received his Ph.D. from the University of Southern California in 2004. Paul was ranked first in the world in publications in the two top MIS journals (MISQ and ISR) for 2010-2012. His work has been cited over 13,000 times by Google Scholar. Paul was recognized among the “World’s Most Influential Scientific Minds” by Thomson Reuters based on analysis of highly cited publications during the 2002-2012 period.
His research appeared in MIS Quarterly (MISQ), Information Systems Research (ISR), Journal of Marketing, Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS), Journal of the Association of Information Systems (JAIS), Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (JAMS), and Decision Sciences, among others. His research focuses on e-commerce strategy, digital business strategy, and development of research methods. Paul won several Best Paper awards for his research, including the ISR Best Paper award in 2007, the 2006 IS Publication of the Year award, the Top 5 Papers award in Decision Sciences in 2006, the Runner-Up to the Best Paper award of the 2005 Academy of Management Conference, the Best Doctoral Dissertation award of the 2004 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), the Best Interactive Paper award of the 2002 Academy of Management Conference, and the Best Student Paper award and Best Paper Award of the Academy of Management Conference (OCIS Division) in 2001 and 2012, respectively.
Paul also won several Reviewer awards, including the 2009 Management Science Meritorious service award, the ‘Best Reviewer’ award of the 2005 Academy of Management Conference, and the 2003 MISQ ‘Reviewer of the Year’ award. Paul is currently a Senior Editor at MISQ.
Electronic Commerce Strategy
- Hong, Yili and Paul A. Pavlou (2014), “Product Fit Uncertainty: Nature, Effects, and Antecedents,” Information Systems Research, 25, 2, 328-344.
- Yadav, Manjit and Paul A. Pavlou (2014), “Marketing in Computer-Mediated Environments: Research Synthesis and New Directions,” Journal of Marketing, 78, 1, 20-40.
- Ou, Carol, Paul A. Pavlou, and Robert Davison (2014), “Swift Guanxi in Online Marketplaces: The Role of Computer-Mediated-Communication Technologies,” MIS Quarterly, 38, 1, 209-230.
- Gefen, David and Paul A. Pavlou (2012), “The Boundaries of Trust and Risk: The Quadratic Moderating Role of Institutional Structures,” Information Systems Research, 23, 3, pp. 940-959.
- Dimoka, Angelika, Yili (Kevin) Hong, and Paul A. Pavlou (2012), “On Product Uncertainty in Online Markets: Theory and Evidence,” MIS Quarterly, 36, 2, pp. 395-426.
- Pavlou, Paul A. (2011), “State of the Information Privacy Literature: Where Are We Now and Where Should We Go,” MIS Quarterly 35, 4, pp. 977-988.
- Benbasat, Izak, David Gefen, and Paul A. Pavlou (2010), “Introduction to the Special Issue on Novel Perspectives on Trust in Information Systems,” MIS Quarterly, 34, 2, 367-371.
- Benbasat, Izak, Gefen, David, and Paul A. Pavlou (2008), “A Research Agenda for Trust in Online Environments,” Journal of Management Information Systems, 24, 4, 275-286.
- Pavlou, Paul A., Huigang Liang, and Yajiong Xue (2007), “Understanding and Mitigating Uncertainty in Online Environments: A Principal-Agent Perspective,” MIS Quarterly, 31, 1, 105-136.
- Pavlou, Paul A. and Mendel Fygenson (2006), “Understanding and Predicting Electronic Commerce Adoption: An Extension of the Theory of Planned Behavior,” MIS Quarterly, 30, 1, 115-143.
- Pavlou, Paul A. and Angelika Dimoka (2006), “The Nature and Role of Feedback Text Comments in Online Marketplaces: Implications for Trust Building, Price Premiums, and Seller Differentiation,” Information Systems Research, 17, 4, 391-412.
- Pavlou, Paul A. and David Gefen (2005), “Psychological Contract Violation in Online Marketplaces: Antecedents, Consequences, and Moderating Role,” Information Systems Research, 16, 4, 272-299.
- Pavlou, Paul A. and David Gefen (2004), “Building Effective Online Marketplaces with Institution-Based Trust,” Information Systems Research, 15, 1, 27-53.
- Pavlou, Paul A. (2003), “Consumer Acceptance of Electronic Commerce: Integrating Trust and Risk with the Technology Acceptance Model,” International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 7, 3, 69-103. Most Cited Paper in International Journal of Electronic Commerce (>1,600 citations)]
- Stewart, David W. and Paul A. Pavlou (2002), “From Consumer Response to Active Consumer: Measuring the Effectiveness of Interactive Media,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 30, 4, 376-396.
- Ba, Sulin and Paul A. Pavlou (2002), “Evidence of the Effect of Trust Building Technology in Electronic Markets: Price Premium and Buyer Behavior,” MIS Quarterly, 26, 3, 243-268.
Digital Business Strategy
- Bharadwaj, Anandhi, Omar A. El Sawy, Paul A. Pavlou, and N. Venkatraman (2013), “Digital Business Strategy: Toward a Next Generation of Insights,” MIS Quarterly, 37, 2, 471-482.
- Bharadwaj, Anandhi, Omar A. El Sawy, Paul A. Pavlou, and N. Venkatraman (2013), “Visions and Voices on Emerging Challenges in Digital Business Strategy,” MIS Quarterly, 37, 2, 633-661.
- Rai, Arun, Paul A. Pavlou, Ghiyoung Im, and Steve Du (2012), “Inter-firm IT Capability Profiles and Communications for Co-Creating Relational Value: Evidence from the Logistics Industry,” MIS Quarterly, 36, 1, 233-262.
- Banker, Rajiv, Nan Hu, Paul A. Pavlou and Jerry Luftman (2011), “Strategic Positioning, CIO Reporting Structure, and Firm Performance,” MIS Quarterly, 35, 2, 487-504.
- Pavlou, Paul A. and Omar A. El Sawy (2011), “Understanding the Elusive Black Box of Dynamic Capabilities,” Decision Sciences, 42, 1, 239-273.
- El Sawy, Omar A., Arvind Malhotra, Youngki Park, and Paul A. Pavlou (2010), “Seeking the Configurations of Digital Ecodynamics: It Takes Three to Tango,” Information Systems Research, 21, 4, 835-848.
- Pavlou, Paul A. and Omar A. El Sawy (2010), “The ‘Third Hand’: IT-Enabled Competitive Advantage in Turbulence through Improvisational Capabilities,” Information Systems Research, 21, 3, 443-471.
- El Sawy, Omar and Paul A. Pavlou (2008), “IT-Enabled Business Capabilities for Turbulent Environments,” MIS Quarterly Executive, 7, 3, 139-150.
- Pavlou, Paul A. and Omar A. El Sawy (2006), “From IT Leveraging Competence to Competitive Advantage in Turbulent Environments,” Information Systems Research, 17, 3, 198-227 (Lead Article). (Won the 2007 ‘ISR Best Paper’ award and the 2006 ‘Top IS Publication of the Year’ award).
- Ettlie, John and Paul A. Pavlou (2006) “Technology-Based New Product Development Partnerships,” Decision Sciences, 37, 2, 117-148 (Lead & Featured Article) (Runner Up to Best Paper Award).
- Pavlou, Paul A., Thomas Housel, Waymond Rodgers, and Eric Jansen (2005), “Measuring the Return on Information Technology: A Knowledge-Based Approach for Revenue Allocation at the Process and Firm Level,” Journal of the Association of Information Systems (JAIS), 7, 4, 199-226.
Development of Research Methods
- Zheng, Zhiqiang (Eric), Paul A. Pavlou, and Bin Gu (2014), “Latent Growth Modeling in Information Systems Research: Basic Tenets, Extension, and Practical Guidelines,” Information Systems Research, 25, 4, (forthcoming).
- Dimoka A., Banker, R.D., Benbasat, I., Davis, F.D., Dennis, A.R., Gefen, D., Gupta, A., Ischebeck, A., Kenning, P., Pavlou, Paul A., Müller-Putz, G., Riedl, R., vom Brocke, J., and Weber, B. (2012), “On the Use of Neurophysiological Tools in IS Research: Developing a Research Agenda for NeuroIS,” MIS Quarterly, 36, 3, 679-702.
- Dimoka, Angelika, Paul A. Pavlou, and Fred D. Davis (2011), “Neuro-IS: The Potential of Cognitive Neuroscience for Information Systems Research,” Information Systems Research, 22, 4, 687-702.
- Zheng, Zhiqiang (Eric) and Paul A. Pavlou (2010), “Toward a Causal Interpretation for Structural Models: A New Bayesian Networks Method for Observational Data with Latent Variables,” Information Systems Research, 21, 2, 365-391.
Close This Panel
Awards and Honors
Awards and Honors
- “World’s Most Influential Scientific Minds”, Thomson Reuters, 2014.
- Researcher of the Year Award, MIS Department, Temple University, 2013, 2012, 2011.
- Dean’s Research Honor Roll, Fox School of Business, Temple University, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010.
- Best Paper Award, Academy of Management Conference (OCIS Division), 2012.
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2009.
- Information Systems Research Best Paper Award, 2007.
- IS Publication of the Year Award, 2006.
Close This Panel
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- “MIS Pro-Seminar,” PhD level, Management Information Systems Department, Fall 2014, Fall 2013.
- “Advanced Quantitative Research Methods II,” PhD level, Fall 2010, Fall 2011, Fall 2012, Spring 2013.
- “MIS Seminar in Electronic Commerce,” PhD level, Spring 2013.
- “Advanced Quantitative Research Methods III,” PhD level, Spring 2012, Spring 2013.
- “Managing Information in the Enterprise,” Executive MBA Level, Management Information Systems Department, Spring 2012.
Close This Panel
In The News
In The News
- Eureka Alert, “Study Finds Online Marketplaces Overplay Safeguards and Ignore Social Aspects of Transactions”
- Pacific Standard, “Why eBay Failed in China”
- Science Daily, “E-commerce’s Future is in Creating ‘Swift Guanxi,’ or Personal and Social Rapport”
- The Temple News, “Fox Professors Link Brain Activity to Ad Success,” February, 2015
- Technically Philly, “Temple U Researchers Find Brain Sweet Spot for TV Ad Success,” Jan 21, 2015.
- Science Magazine Sifter, “What Will be the Best Super Bowl Commercial? Science May Have the Answer,” January 27, 2015
- Temple University News, “Fox School of Business Professor and Scholar Recognized for Achievements”