Title: Assistant Professor
Department: Risk, Insurance, and Healthcare Management
Office: Alter Hall 619
Research Interests: Behavioral Decision Theory, Insurance Economics, Utility Theory, Catastrophe Insurance, Pension Economics
Jacqueline Volkman Wise, Ph.D. joined the Fox School of Business and Management as an Assistant Professor of Risk, Insurance, and Healthcare Management in 2011. She has a B.S. in Mathematics and Economics from Penn State University and has an A.M. and Ph.D. in Managerial Science and Applied Economics with a major in Insurance and Risk Management from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
Read More . . .
She is an S.S. Huebner Fellow with research interests that include insurance economics, behavioral decision theory, utility theory, catastrophe insurance, and pension economics. Her work focuses on how psychological feelings and behavioral biases impact insurance decisions such as the demand for insurance and/or portfolio allocation decisions within defined contribution pension plans. Dr. Volkman Wise has published in journals such as the Journal of Risk & Insurance, Insurance: Mathematics and Economics and the Journal of Behavioral Finance. Her work has been presented at numerous conferences including those for the American Risk and Insurance Association, National Bureau of Economic Research, European Group of Risk and Insurance Economics, Western Risk and Insurance Association, CEAR/MRIC Conference on Behavioral Insurance, Asia-Pacific Risk and Insurance Association, Risk Theory Society, and Financial Management Association. She currently serves on the board for the Western Risk and Insurance Association and is an Editorial Board member for the Journal of Business and Financial Affairs. At the Fox School, Dr. Volkman Wise teaches the Honors Introduction to Risk course and the Retirement Plans course. She was awarded the Gamma Iota Sigma, Sigma Chapter Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award by the risk management and insurance students in 2012 and was recently awarded the Business Honors Instructor of the Year Award from the Fox Honors students in 2014. Prior to joining Temple University, Dr. Volkman Wise was an Assistant Professor of Finance at Fordham University’s Gabelli School of Business where she was awarded the Dean’s Award for Curis Personalis (care for the entire person) in 2008. More recently she was a Visiting Scholar the Wharton School of Business during 2010-2011 and was also invited to be a Visiting Scholar at the Munich Risk and Insurance Center at Ludwig Maximilians Universitat in Munich, Germany from May-June 2014.
- Volkman-Wise, Jacqueline. Representativeness and Managing Catastrophe Risk. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, revise and resubmit.
- Beilis, Alan, Jan Dash, and Jacqueline Volkman-Wise. Psychology, Stock/FX Trading, and Option Prices. Journal of Behavioral Finance, forthcoming.
- Volkman Wise, Jacqueline, 2013. Pension Portfolio Choice and Peer Envy. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 80(2), 461-489.
- Volkman-Wise, Jacqueline, 2013. Managing Longevity Risk: The Need for Financial Literacy and the Role of the Financial Advisor. Journal of Business and Financial Affairs, 2(3).
- Muermann, Alexander, Olivia S. Mitchell, and Jacqueline M. Volkman, 2006. Regret, Portfolio Choice, and Guarantees in Defined Contribution Schemes. Insurance: Mathematics, and Economics, 39(2), 219-229.
Awards and Honors
- Business Honors Instructor of the Year Award, Fox School of Business, Temple University, 2014
- Gamma Iota Sigma (Sigma Chapter) Outstanding Professor of the Year Award, Fox School of Business, Temple University, 2012
- Semi-finalist, Best Paper Award in Investments for “Prospect Theory and the Demand for Insurance” (co-authored with David L. Eckles), Financial Management Association, 2012
- Risk Theory Society, 2012
- Dean’s Award for “Curis Personalis” (Care of the Entire Being), Gabelli School of Business, Fordham University, 2008
- Russell Ackoff Doctoral Fellowship for Research on Human Decision Processes , Wharton Risk Management and Decision Processes Center, 2005-2006
- S.S. Huebner Foundation for Insurance Education Fellowship, 2002-2006
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- RMI 2901: Honors Introduction to Risk Management
- RMI 3503: Retirement Plans
In the News
Search for a Faculty or Staff member.
Fox Faculty Policies