Title: Assistant Professor
Department: Risk, Insurance, and Healthcare Management
Office: Alter Hall 610
Research Interests: Pharmaceutical Policy, International Health Systems, Wellness/Prevention, Industrial Organization and Finance of Healthcare
Dr. Keuffel’s Curriculum Vitae
Dr. Keuffel is an Assistant Professor in the Risk, Insurance and Healthcare Management Department at the Fox School of Business. He is a health economist whose research interests include economics and policy of the pharmaceutical/life sciences industry, international health systems and the economics of prevention and wellness.
Read More . . .
He has publications in both policy and health journals and has presented his research at domestic and international conferences including the American Society of Health Economists (ASHE), Academy Health and the International Health Economics Association (IHEA). Prior to his appointment at Fox, Dr. Keuffel served as a consultant to the World Bank/IFC, taught health economics at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School and advised pharmaceutical industry clients on strategy, marketing and economic issues. He earned his Bachelor’s Degree in economics from Princeton University (Magna cum Laude), his Master’s in Public Health (MPH) from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and his Doctorate in Applied Economics and Managerial Science from the Wharton School (University of Pennsylvania).
- “Regulation of the Bio-Pharmaceutical Industry.” in Economic Regulation and Its Reform: What Have We Learned? edited by N. Rose. University of Chicago Press/NBER. 2014. (with P. Danzon)
- “Economic Costs and Benefits of Rural Health Worker Incentive Programs for Developing Countries: An Example from Laos.” Medical Care. November 2013 (with W. Jaskiewicz, C. Paphassarang, K. Tulenko)
- “Drugs and Vaccines for Developing Countries” in Oxford Handbook of Pharmaceutical Economics edited by P. Danzon and S. Nicholson. Oxford University Press. 2012. (with Towse A, Kettler H and Ridley DB)
- “Addressing Unfunded Training Mandates in Hospitals: Engaging the Private Sector in Low- and Middle- Income Countries.” World Hosp Health Serv. 2010:46(3):12-5 (with Preker AS, Tuckman H)
Awards and Honors
- Fox Inter-Disciplinary Young Scholars Award (Fall 2011)
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- Healthcare Financial Management
- Healthcare Finance and Information Technology
- Introduction to Health Services Systems
In the News
- Newsworks. “A 'Game-Changing' Hepatitis C Drug and the Expensive Price Tag That Comes With It”. July 18, 2014.
- CBS Philly. “The Small Business Healthcare Headache: Part II”. May 31, 2012.
- CBS Philly. “Area Pharmacies Doing Lots of Business with On-the-Spot Flu Shots”. October 10, 2011.
Search for a Faculty or Staff member.
Fox Faculty Policies