Title: Assistant Professor
Department: Strategic Management
Office: Alter Hall 542
Research Interests: The Role of Clusters in the Strategy and Performance of Firms and Regions; Clustering Analysis; and Country Competitiveness and Innovativeness
Mercedes Delgado is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Strategic Management at the Fox School of Business at Temple University. She serves as Senior Institute Associate at the Institute for Strategy and Competitiveness (ISC) at Harvard Business School. In 2013, Delgado held a Visiting Scholar position at MIT Sloan’s Technological Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Strategic Management Group. She earned a PhD in Business Economics from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid and completed postdoctoral fellowships at the ISC and at the National Bureau of Economic Research’s Innovation Policy and the Economy Group.
Read More . . .
Delgado’s research focuses on the relationship between the regional business environment and the performance of firms, regions, and countries. Her work examines the role of regional clusters—geographic concentrations of related economic activity—in job creation, innovation, and entrepreneurship. Part of this work develops new methods to define regional clusters, providing tools to help firms, practitioners, and policymakers create regional strategies. More broadly, she studies the determinants of national and regional competitiveness, seeking to understand how different components of the microeconomic and macroeconomic environment contribute to prosperity. Her current research explores the location choices of firms through their value chain. Delgado has been the recipient of prestigious fellowships and research grants.
- “Clusters and Entrepreneurship” with Michael E. Porter and Scott Stern, 2010, Journal of Economic Geography, 10(4), pp. 495-518.
- “The Determinants of National Competitiveness,” with Michael E. Porter, Christian Ketels, and Scott Stern, 2011, NBER WP 18249.
- “Intellectual Property Protection and the Geography of Trade,” with Margaret Kyle and Anita M. McGahan, 2013, Journal of Industrial Economics, 61 (3), pp. 733-762.
- “Clusters, Convergence, and Economic Performance,” with Michael E. Porter and Scott Stern, 2014, Research Policy, forthcoming.
Awards and Honors
- Awarded Best Paper at the DRUID 2013 Conference in Barcelona, Spain, for "Spatial Organization of Firms and Location Choices through the Value Chain" (with Juan Alcacer).
- Research Fellowship, Kauffman Foundation and NBER’s Innovation Policy Group, 2006.
- Ph.D. Fellowship, Fundación Rafael del Pino, Madrid, Spain, 2003-2005.
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- Analytical Foundations of Strategy, MBA required course, Fall 2012, 2013.
- Global Business Policies, Undergraduate strategy capstone, Fall 2008-present.
In the News
Search for a Faculty or Staff member.
Fox Faculty Policies