Department: Human Resources Management
Office: Alter Hall 340
Research Interests: Reward Systems and Motivation, Materialism and Workplace Outcomes, Spirituality and Work
Dr. Deckop’s Curriculum Vitae
John R. Deckop has taught for over 25 years in the areas of Human Resource Management and Business Ethics. He has received several teaching honors including the Musser Award for Teaching (2007), the Fox School’s MBA Professor of the Year (1998) and MS in Human Resource Management (Singapore) Faculty of the Year (2014). His volunteer work includes service on the boards of several nonprofit organizations.
Read More . . .
Dr. Deckop is currently researching in the areas of reward systems and motivation, materialism and workplace outcomes, and spirituality and work. He has published in numerous academic journals, including Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Management, Journal of Business Ethics, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, and Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, among others. News articles around the country have quoted his research. He is a member of the editorial board of Group and Organization Management and is a Research Fellow at the Cornell Institute for Compensation Studies.
- Deckop, J.R., Giacalone, R.A. & Jurkiewicz, C.L. Materialism and Workplace Behaviors: Does Wanting More Result in Less? In Press, Social Indicators Research.
- Deckop, J.R., Jurkiewicz C.L. & Giacalone R.A. 2010. Effects of Materialism on Work-Related Personal Well-Being. Human Relations 63 (7), 1007-1030.
- Deckop, J.R., Merriman, K.K, & Gupta, S. 2006. The Effects of CEO Pay Structure on Corporate Social Performance. Journal of Management, 32 (3), pp. 329-342.
- Deckop, J.R., Cirka, C.C., & Andersson, L.M. 2003. Doing Unto Others: The Reciprocity of Helping Behavior in Organizations. Journal of Business Ethics, 47, 101-113.
- Deckop, J.R., Mangel, R., & Cirka, C.C. 1999. Getting More Than You Pay For: Organizational Citizenship Behavior and Pay for Performance Plans, Academy of Management Journal, 42, no. 4, pp. 420-428.
Awards and Honors
- MS in Human Resource Management (Singapore) Faculty of the Year, 2014.
- The Musser Award for Excellence in Leadership, for Teaching, 2007.
- Fox MBA Faculty of the Year, 2007.
- MBA Professor of the Year, May, 1998.
Fox School of Business, Temple University
- Business, Society, and Ethics
- Strategic Reward Systems
- Ethical Decisions in Business
Search for a Faculty or Staff member.
Fox Faculty Policies