Ellen Weber – Assistant Professor and Executive Director, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Institute and Robin Hood Ventures
Ellen talks about raising money from angel investors.
Scroll down for more videos and resources to help grow your business.
Articles and Books on Entrepreneurship
- Measure Your Entrepreneurial Instinct– Forbes.com Take this quiz to find out your entrepreneurial instinct!
- Finances Always on Minds of Small-Business Owners – USA Today
- Temple Helps Students to Be Own Boss, Noting ‘Self-Employed Grads –USA Today Temple’s entrepreneurial initiatives and rising number of “self-employed” graduates are discussed.
- The Startup Owner’s Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company– By Steve Blank and Bob Dorf
- A Guide to Co-founder Fit. What everyone needs to know when looking for a co-founder.
Articles and Books on Innovation
- Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers– by Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur – Can also be accessed for free at Temple’s library
- Stanford Social Innovation Review (Temple Access) – ssireview.org Journal targets leaders in nonprofit management, corporate social responsibility, social entrepreneurship, and philanthropy.
- Global Social Venture Competition – gsvc.org The Global Social Venture Competition is the largest and oldest student-led business plan competition enabling early stage social ventures from around the world. This site is full of resources for measuring the impact of your social venture. Be sure to check out their Social Impact Assessment methodologies and guidelines for impact measurement assistance.
- GuideStar Premium – guidestar.org Information about the mission, programs, leadership and finances of IRS-recognized non-profit organizations. One can search by the field of endeavor, organization, and people.
- Urban Institute’s Outcome Indicators Project – urban.org This resource provides nonprofits with resources to assist in developing and improving performance measurement systems within their organizations.
- Monitoring and Evaluation News – mande.co.uk Specific to international development organizations with a social development focus, this resource provides access to news on measuring and evaluating the performance of an organization.
Videos on Entrepreneurship
Generating an Idea
- Building a Strategy Pyramid – Entrepreneur Magazine
- How to Research Your Business Idea – Entrepreneur Magazine
- Guidelines for Choosing a Business Opportunity – Entrepreneur Magazine
- Family Owned Businesses – familybusinessmagazine.com
Below are some resources that will help you with the basic sections of a business plan.
- Business Plans – Entrepreneur.com
- How to Write a Winning Business Plan – Business Week
- Center for Business Planning
- How to Write a Business Plan Tutorial
- Free Business Tools – Shopify’s Free Business tools include useful resources for both online and offline businesses such as:
- Business name generators
- Slogan makers
- Pay stub generators
- Business card makers
- Purchase order templates
- Finding Talented Engineers – LinkedIn
- Recruiting and Hiring for Small Businesses – NectJobs
- Small Business Recruiting and Hiring Guide – NectJobs
- How To Write A Killer Job Posting – NectJobs
- How To Interview Job Candidates – NectJobs
Marketing and Sales
- Marketing Plan Templates – MPlans.com
- Creating a Great Website – Cheap! – Inc.com
- How to Create a Marketing Plan – Entrepreneur Magazine
- The Ingredients of a Press Kit – Entrepreneur Magazine
- How to Generate Publicity for Your Business – Entrepreneur Magazine
Social Media Marketing
- Facebook’s a great friend to businesses – USA Today
- For Business Owners, iPhone Apps Abound – Wall Street Journal
- How to Lose Your Job Via Facebook Status – Geekologie
- Basic U.S. Patent, Trademark, & Copyright Information – Pierce Law School
- Basic Facts About Trademarks – USPTO
Finding Funds and Presenting to Investors
- Entrepreneurs Turn to 401(k)s to Fund Start-up Businesses – USA Today
- 50 Ways to Save Money in your Business – Entrepreneur Magazine
- Three Steps to Borrowing from Family or Friends – INC Magazine
- Find an Angel Investor: Earning Your Wings – INC Magazine
- Top 100 Venture Capital Firms – Entrepreneur Magazine
- Closing a Startup Financial Deal – Entrepreneur Magazine
- Institutional Venture Capital – Entrepreneur Magazine
- How to Attract VC Investors – Entrepreneur Magazine
- Know When to Take the Money – Entrepreneur Magazine
- Two Things Investors Look For- Entrepreneur Magazine