Centralizing administrative functions leverage infrastructural resources to improve efficiency and savings in operational tasks necessary to support the mission of the Big Data Institute. Temple University provides state of the art infrastructure to support big data sciences. The university’s resources are designed torapidly deploy new technologies and approaches to deal with various data-intensive problems. The Institute for Big Data offers the following services and resources to support research and other activities at Temple University and other external entities:
Data storage resources: The Institute provides distributed database storage services to entities within and outside Temple University. The Institute subscribes to substantial data storage capacity for short and long-term storage.
Computational resources: The Big Data Institute make available computational support for data processing to entities within and outside Temple University, including large servers to run Hadoop.
Specialized support services: The Big Data Institute has established specialized data support services for Temple University in the form of virtual hosting, computing infrastructure, visualization services, development of new software, data analysis tools, and prototype development, and other interactive tools, and other customized support resources.
The Big Data Instutate will oversee the following administrative support services:
- Build and develop collaborative partnerships across Temple University faculty and staff.
- Facilitate connection to funding agencies and industry partners.
- Centralized project management functions to simplify reporting and documentation of research activities.
- Build bridges to major industrial partners who are enga ged in big data operations or require big data analytics.
- Create a sponsorship program eliciting industry funds to support big data applied research.
- Support grant writing and sponsored project administration.
Outreach and Dissemination:
- Organize and host big data conferences to showcase key research outputs.
- Promote research outcomes through active public relations including a strong Internet presence, newsletter and feature stories, direct mail dissemination of key findings.