Parents and families
Parents play an integral role in supporting and influencing your student’s career aspirations and decisions. Because professional development is a lifelong process, we invite you to partner with the Center for Student Professional Development by reinforcing our message about continuous improvement and the important role of career and industry awareness, impression management and personal development.
How can families encourage student professional development?
- Support your student’s interest to become actively involved in Fox School Student Professional Organizations (SPO’s) and campus wide organizations.
- Ask your student to visit the Center for Student Professional Development (CSPD) and to attend events sponsored by The Fox School and CSPD.
- Encourage your student to explore to learn more about the CSPD Professional Development model.
- Provide advice rather than answers – your student’s success is as important to us as it is to you!
- Encourage your student to explore interests and experiences and occupations.
Staying informed is the key to assisting your family member. Please partner with the CSPD to support your student’s professional development!
- Professional Development Strategies Course – BA 2101 – Learn more about the one-credit required course for Fox undergraduates.
- CSPD Professional Development Model
- NACE Employment Trends for 2016
More resources for families
- Hand-Me-Down Dreams: How Families Influence Our Career Paths and How We Can Reclaim Them, by Mary H. Jacobson.
- Parent’s Crash Course in Career Planning: Helping Your College Student Succeed , by Marcia B. Harris and Sharon L. Jones.