VITA is a nationwide organization regulated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that offers free tax help to people who make less than $53,000 per year. Since 2008, students, faculty, and alumni of the Fox School’s Department of Accounting have assisted low-income members of the Philadelphia community by filing their income-tax returns for free through Temple University’s VITA program, based on Temple’s Ambler Campus. In 2017, more than 60 preparers claimed nearly half a million dollars in refunds on behalf of their more than 400 clients.
To assist others with their tax returns as a part of the VITA program you must first pass the online Link-n-Learn test offered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and attend three training sessions in January at the Ambler campus.
Students interested in volunteering without receiving course credit should contact Dr. Balsam directly at email@example.com.
VITA for Credit
It is highly recommended volunteer students request to receive course credit for completion of the VITA volunteer work through registration of ACCT 3581 – Co-operative Experience in Accounting, section 101 during the Spring semester.
Provided that total credits do not exceed 18 credits for the semester, the course will require no additional cost to a full-time student’s tuition, and the 3 credits earned upon completion of the course will count toward the academic requirements of sitting for the CPA exam and becoming licensed.
In addition to meeting the general volunteer requirements, participants are required to offer their expertise every Saturday from mid-January through the end of tax season in April.
Students interested in course credit must complete the following requirements to register for the course:
- Meet the prerequisite of a grade of B or better in ACCT 3511 – Intermediate Accounting I
- Email your TUID number, resume, and request for course credit to Dr. Balsam
- Receive written approval in the form of email or signature from Dr. Balsam
- Once approval is granted, students must visit the Fox School of Business Advising Office located in Speakman Hall 101 with the written approval to be registered for the course. Only an administrator can process the registration for this course.
Receive VITA Assistance
To qualify for assistance with filing your taxes, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Annual income is less than $54,000
- if married, this refers to joint income
- You do not own and operate your own business
- You do not own any rental property
We will open scheduling of tax assistance appointments in January 2018. There are three methods that you are able to use to schedule an appointment:
- By telephone: 215-326-9519
- By online form
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you have your appointment, please bring with you all required documentation for our volunteers to process your return. Download the VITA Appointment Check List to ensure you are prepared for your appointment.