Department of Finance
The Department of Finance has the second largest number of undergraduate majors in the Fox School of Business and the largest number of MBA students selecting this field as an area of concentration.
The Department has 22 full-time faculty members who hold doctorates from many of the top business schools in the United States. Research productivity is very high, and faculty research consistently appears in such highly ranked academic and applied business journals as the Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Law and Economics, Journal of Money Credit and Banking, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, and Journal of Derivatives. The Journal of Economics and Business is edited by faculty members, Ken Kopecky, Jay Choi and Elyas Elyasiani.
- The Finance Department was recently ranked fourth in research productivity by Academic Analytics.
- Lalitha Naveen received the Fox School MBA Professor of the Year Award.
- Steven Casper guided the FMA chapter to a Superior Chapter Award for the seveth year in a row and Gold Membership Development for the sixth year in a row.
Our mission is consistent with the School’s mission: to provide a gateway to opportunity and prosperity for all students with the talent and determination to succeed, particularly those of lesser financial means. To ensure that all of our students – undergraduate, masters’ and doctoral – acquire the tools and perspective that provide them with a competitive edge in a global market, we are committed to these themes:
- Target research for the top three journals in finance as well as the leading journals in all the sub-fields of finance.
- Adopt instructional methodologies that will improve students’ learning, without losing focus on the need for a rigorous understanding of the underlying core principles of finance.
- Actively review the curriculum at all levels and modify as necessary to ensure that students in all programs have the skills to be competitive in their respective job markets.
- Provide the highest quality assistance to and oversight of undergraduate finance and real estate majors, masters’ finance majors, and PhD students in finance.
- Forge links with the primary employers of our undergraduate and masters’ students to provide curriculum feedback and to enhance the opportunities for employment and applied research in the major industries of the greater Philadelphia area.