Center for Undergraduate Advising
Graduation Process for May 2014 graduates
Graduation is a five step process. It is imperative that you complete each step of the process to be cleared for graduation and receive your diploma.
Step by Step Process:
Step 1 – Submit Your Request for a Graduation Review – All Fox School students who expect to graduate in May 2014 must file a “Request for a Graduation Review” with the Fox School before the required deadline. The online request for a graduation review will be available here starting Monday, September 2, 2013. Your academic advisor will complete a graduation review and send you a list of your remaining requirements prior to registering for your final semester.
- Deadline for August graduation: February 15th
- Deadline for January graduation: February 15th
- Deadline for May graduation: September 15th
All students should review their DARS report and their program information in Banner to be sure their information is accurate. Students should see their academic advisors to report errors or make corrections to programs.
Step 2 – Check your Email - After your Request for a Graduation Review has been processed, your academic advisor will complete and e-mail you a graduation review listing your courses remaining to graduate. If you do not successfully complete these courses, your remaining requirements will need to be revised – please contact your academic advisor: http://sbm.temple.edu/advising/staff.html
Step 3 – Review your current course registration - please verify that you are registered for the courses listed on your Graduation Review that you received from your academic advisor and check your DARS report to be sure all your requirements are met. Report any discrepancies to your advisor. If you do not successfully complete all of your current courses, your remaining requirements will need to be revised – please contact your academic advisor: http://sbm.temple.edu/advising/staff.html
Step 4 –Submit Graduation application – You must submit an application for graduation in Self-Service Banner. You will not be included on the final graduation list or receive a diploma if you do not complete this step.
- Deadline for August graduation application: June 1st
- Deadline for January graduation application: October 15th
- Deadline for May graduation application: February 15th
Directions for submitting graduation application in Self Service Banner:
- Log into the TU Portal and click on the Self Service Banner link in the left column
- Click on the Student tab
- Click on the Student Records tab
- Click on Apply to Graduate and follow the instructions to complete.
Before submitting, verify that all your program information is listed correctly in the application – your graduation date, your major(s), minor(s) and certificate(s)
If all of your program information is correct, submit your application. If any program information or your graduation date is incorrect, see your advisor BEFORE submitting your application.
*If you have already submitted a graduation application through Self-Service Banner, click on View Graduation Application and review the information to be sure it is correct.*
If your anticipated graduation date has changed or you have questions about your requirements, please contact your academic advisor: http://sbm.temple.edu/advising/staff.html
If you have problems submitting the graduation application, please contact your advisor with specific details of the problem.
Step 5 –Submit the Commencement Ceremony RSVP – You must RSVP to attend both the university and school commencement ceremonies. Your RSVP will provide you with ceremony ticket, graduation announcements and a garage parking pass. The RSVP will be available here starting February 24, 2014 through March 28, 2014. The RSVP system has now closed, you should visit Speakman 101 or contact your academic advisor for questions.
Petition to Participate in Graduations for Non-Graduates
Graduation is a time to celebrate the completion of your degree and is a joyous time for both graduates and their families. Students who are not graduating, but are within 2 courses (maximum of 8 credits) may petition to participate in the graduation ceremony prior to graduating. If approved, students will participate in the ceremony, but their names will not appear in the programs nor will honors be announced (this is often important to families).
The Fox School currently holds graduation ceremonies for students graduating in August (the ceremony is in early September), January (the ceremony is at the end of January), and May (the ceremony is held the same day as the University Commencement). Students must submit an “Online Petition to Walk” to be considered for this exception. The deadlines shown below are strictly enforced.
Petitions must be submitted by the University graduation application deadline (see below) for the graduation requested NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
The deadlines are:
- Deadline to petition to walk in the August ceremony: June 1st
- Deadline to petition to walk in the January ceremony: October 15th
- Deadline to petition to walk in the May ceremony: February 15th
Upcoming Ceremony Info
The University Commencement Ceremony will be held on Thursday, May 15, 2014 in the Liacouras Center at 10 AM. The Liacouras Center will open at 8:30 a.m. Graduates must report to the loading dock entrance (on Broad Street near Cecil B. Moore Avenue) in academic regalia no later than 8:45 a.m. and form single file lines behind their college banners.
Dean M. Moshe Porat and the Faculty of the Fox School of Business and School of Tourism and Hospitality Management invite you to participate in The Fox School of Business and the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management Graduation Ceremony. The Ceremony is held on Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 1 PM in the Liacouras Center, 1776 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA. Graduates must report to the loading dock entrance (on Broad Street near Cecil B. Moore Avenue) in academic regalia no later than 12 PM to check-in by last name. Immediately following the ceremony you and your family are invited to the Fox School Celebratory Reception in the of Alter Hall Atrium and Commons at 3 PM.
How do I order my cap and gown?
- Temple graduates are required to wear their school/college’s approved cap, gown and hood at commencement and graduation.You may pre-order your academic regalia online or in-person at the Main Campus Bookstore with cash, check (payable to Temple University Bookstore), Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. Pre-orders may be shipped to the bookstore free of charge, or to a home address for a shipping & handling fee of $15.95. May 1, 2014 is the last day to order online. After May 1, 2014, you must come to the Temple University Bookstore to purchase.The cost of your full academic regalia is as follows:
- Bachelors Degree: $65.98 + tax
Please note: The cap, gown (made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles) and hood are yours to keep.
For more information, please contact the Main Campus Bookstore at 215-204-4505 or 215-204-5578.
When and where do I take my yearbook pictures?
View the following website for information about yearbook pictures: http://www.temple.edu/templar/seniors.html
Will I receive a yearbook?
- Yearbooks can be picked at the Fox School Celebratory Reception in Alter Hall immediately following the ceremony. Alternatively, you can come to Speakman Hall Room 101 after May 15th. You will receive notification of dates via email. For information about the yearbook and yearbook photos, please visit the Templar website.
When will I receive my diploma?
- Diplomas will be mailed to your permanent address six weeks after the date of graduation to all academically cleared students. Be sure to update your permanent address in Banner if you expect a change in residence before graduation. International students should contact the Office Of International Services about the full, correct address to be used for mailing.
- Diplomas will not be released for students who owe the University money or library books, those who have not completed exit paperwork if required, and those who have financial holds: http://sfs.temple.edu/. Be sure to resolve such matters prior to your completion of courses. If you are unable to clear your hold until after the graduation ceremony, you MUST contact the Advising Office (http://sbm.temple.edu/advising/staff.html) in order to receive your diploma.
Where can I obtain information about transportation, maps, accommodations, venue, commencement schedule, and other helpful info?
View the university commencement website for more helpful information: http://www.temple.edu/commencement
Can my family take photos?
- A professional photographer will be present to record this important moment of your life. The photographer will mail a complimentary proof directly to your home (permanent address) with information about purchasing additional prints.
- Flash photography and videography are permitted on premises for Commencement.
What is the difference between the University Commencement and the School Graduation ceremonies?
- The University Commencement is for graduates from all Temple’s Schools and Colleges. Graduates are recognized by School.
- The Fox School/STHM Graduation Ceremony is only for students graduating from these schools and each student is recognized individually by the Dean as you are called on stage. A professional photographer will be present to record this important moment of your life.
Do I receive graduation announcements?
- A graduation announcement is a small commemorative document announcing the details of the graduation ceremony. Eligible graduates will receive 4 announcements that will be distributed in your advising center Administrative Office, Speakman Hall, Rm. 102 on Main Campus. Announcements will be distributed April 21st through April 25th from 9:00am – 1:00pm; (LUNCH BREAK) 2:30pm – 4:30pm. You must submit an rsvp to obtain announcements. Announcements will not be distributed on the morning of Graduation.
Where do we park?
- Eligible graduates will receive a complimentary parking pass which will be distributed in your advising center. Refer to the Upcoming Ceremony page for specific parking location and check your email for more details as your graduation approaches.
What do I wear to the ceremony?
- Temple graduates are required to wear their school/college’s approved cap, gown and hood at all commencement ceremonies. You may preorder your academic regalia online or in-person at the Main Campus Bookstore with cash, check (payable to Temple University Bookstore), Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. Pre-orders may be shipped to the bookstore free of charge, or to a home address for a shipping & handling charge.
- If you are an Ambler Campus student, please contact the Ambler Bookstore at 267-468-8460 to pre-order.
- Refer to the Upcoming Ceremony page and your email for more details as your graduation approaches.
Why do I need to request tickets for the Fox School ceremony if no tickets are required?
- This same ticket request system is used for the entire University and some schools do require tickets for their school ceremonies. Although the ticket request system states a 20 ticket maximum for the Fox School Ceremony, please note that the Fox school ceremony DOES NOT limit the number of guests who can attend and no tickets are required for entry. You MUST use the online ticket request system if you plan to attend either or both ceremonies in order to RSVP. Refer to the Upcoming Ceremony page and your email for more details as your graduation approaches. Eligible graduates will receive 4 tickets that will be distributed in the advising center Administrative Office, Speakman Hall, Rm. 102 on Main Campus. Tickets will be distributed April 21st through April 25th from 9:00am – 1:00pm; (LUNCH BREAK) 2:30pm – 4:30pm.
How many tickets do I get for each ceremony?
- The University commencement (AM ceremony) DOES have a limit of 4 guests and tickets are required for entry. You can obtain these tickets by completing an online RSVP and ticket request. Tickets are NOT required for guests to attend the Fox School Graduation Ceremony and there is no limit to the number of guests who attend this school ceremony. However, you must RSVP using the online ticket request system. Refer to the Upcoming Ceremony page and check your email for more details as your graduation approaches. Eligible graduates will receive 4 tickets that will be distributed in the advising center Administrative Office, Speakman Hall, Rm. 102 on Main Campus. Tickets will be distributed April 21st through April 25th from 9:00am – 1:00pm; (LUNCH BREAK) 2:30pm – 4:30pm.
Must I respond to attend either or both of the ceremonies?
- Yes. Tickets are required for your guests to attend the University Commencement Ceremony (in May). Eligible graduates will receive 4 tickets that will be distributed in the advising center Administrative Office, Speakman Hall, Rm. 102 on Main Campus. Tickets will be distributed April 21st through April 25th from 9:00am – 1:00pm; (LUNCH BREAK) 2:30pm – 4:30pm.
Am I required to attend both ceremonies?
No, you have the option to attend one or both ceremonies. Your name is only called during the Fox School of Business ceremony.
Who Can Attend the Graduation Ceremony?
- Students graduating from the Fox School of Business / School of Tourism and Hospitality Management in the current semester and approved “walkers.” Each student is recognized individually by the Dean as you are called by name onto the stage at the Fox School of Business Ceremony.
How do I obtain confirmation that I’ve graduated?
- Your academic transcript is your official confirmation of graduation. Transcripts become available for ordering typically two – four weeks after the official graduation date (six weeks for May graduates). You will not receive your transcript if you have holds! Although transcripts are issued by the University Registrar, you will request the transcript and pay the fee through the National Student Clearinghouse. You will receive email confirmation of your request and also when the transcript is mailed. For information see: http://www.temple.edu/registrar/alumnifamily/verification/
Fox Advising's Twitter Feed
Twitter / @FoxAdvising Twitter / @FoxAdvising Fox Advising's Blog Posts
April 21st, 2014
April 21st, 2014
Twitter / @FoxAdvising Fox Advising's Blog Posts
Fox Advising's Blog Posts