Declare a Business Major
Fox Change of Program Workshop is now online!
Current Temple students interested in declaring a major in Fox must First complete the Change of Program (CoP) workshop.
- You will receive an email confirmation of the form completion in 1-2 days.
- Check your Blackboard once you receive the email.
- Complete the Presentation and Quiz. You must score 100 to move forward with the CoP.
- You will receive your degree worksheet from a Fox Advisor within 3-5 business days after completion of the presentation and quiz.
- You are expected to complete preliminary research on Fox degree programs prior to the workshop.
Please Note: CoP’s are effective for the following semester.
Before you attend a workshop:
- Know why you are considering a change in major – what are your goals, your strengths, your weaknesses? There are many avenues to reach most goals and business may be only one avenue. You need to know your goals to find the best program fit for you! Please see the steps listed below to help you make your decision.
- The BBA program is very quantitative! If you don’t like or do well in math, this is not the program for you! Read our program requirements in the Fox School of Business and Management section of the Undergraduate Bulletin that corresponds to the date you plan to attend the workshop and declare the new major.
- You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to transfer into the Fox School.
- Review our suggested sequence above to take some classes that would work for our program.
- Helpful Tips for Declaring a Major in Fox
Declaring a Business Minor or Certificate
Does completing a minor or certificate (or even a second major) make sense for you? While many students complete a second major or multiple minors or certificates in an effort to impress potential employers (and get that job!), this strategy can backfire unless you can articulate why you pursued these multiple avenues. Without a clear rationale for your decision, you may appear indecisive – not a trait that employers are seeking in their new hires.
What steps should you take to decide if completing a second major, minor, or certificate is best for you? Your choice of major(s), minor(s) and/or certificates should enhance your qualifications to pursue your goals. Identifying your goals and the industry and/or career you eventually want to pursue will help you make the important decision about choosing your major, minor or certificate program.
Step One: Self Assessment
How can you decide your goals if you cannot identify your strengths, weaknesses, and values? Use University resources designed to help with this step:
Step Two: Research Potential Industries/Employers of Interest
- Attend Student Professional Organization (SPO) meetings to meet other students with similar interests, faculty with industry knowledge, and professionals with experience in an industry of interest.
- Use the strategies found on the CSPD site: Explore “What Can You Do With this Major?” on the Career Development web site.
Step Three: Identify Skills
Identify the skills employers are seeking – and choose your major/minor/certificate to enhance your skills, making YOU the most attractive job candidate.
- Explore the Fox School majors in your Undergraduate Bulletin that corresponds with your matriculation date – use the bulletin archives if you started before the current year. (Your bulletin/catalog year is listed on your DARS document in OWLnet.)
- Explore the Fox School minors and certificates listed below.
Step Four: Develop plan of study
- Meet with your academic advisor to see how the credits required for the major(s), minor(s), and/or certificates will fit into your academic program.
- Develop your academic plan of study to complete all of your program requirements by your expected graduation date.
Step Five: Complete the “Fox Business/Certificate Workshop via Blackboard
- Log onto learn.temple.edu (Blackboard)
- Select “Bb Course Catalog” on the left
- Type “Business Minor” in the search-box
- Click on “Go”
- Hover over the course ID “ZZ-TPLT-5740-C029-87D8-201634”
- Click the down arrow to enroll
- Click on “Submit” and you will receive a confirmation on the page that you have successfully enrolled.
- Click “Ok”
- Then follow the direction in the Blackboard to complete your “Business Minor/Certificate Workshop” to complete the minor/certificate declaration process.
- Once you have completed all four steps in the Blackboard check Temple email for second ‘non-reply” message confirming official change to your academic record (adding your desired FOX Minor and/or Certificate);
- Anticipate 1-2 weeks for processing. You will be unable to register for any FOX business courses until your academic records have been officially updated with your new FOX Minor and/or Certificate.